Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experiences with Russia

That’s a great development! It’s funny how Skydemon always denied, that they would ever support Russia, and now they do.

The chart is looking quite a mess to be honest, many airfields are double marked on the chart and there aren’t any approach and ground plates available yet, but I assume it will be improved over time. However, before Russia gets my real attention as a GA destination, the landing and handling fees should be reasonable. I’m certainly not willing to pay hundreds of euros to land in St. Petersburg or so.

Last Edited by Frans at 29 Apr 20:47
Switzerland

However, before Russia gets my real attention as a GA destination, the landing and handling fees should be reasonable. I’m certainly not willing to pay hundreds of euros to land in St. Petersburg or so.

That’s a question for Russian AOPA You can email them and let them know. They’re in-touch with the aviation authorities and probably will sort it out some day. Even if they had low airport fees, navigation is still the most crucial thing for aviators. So, now everybody has a map and let’s count it as a step forward 🙂 To be honestly, GA over there is a rare beast to these days and look like they’re not really interested in making it a profitable industry.

Czech Republic

loco wrote:

my record invoice below. 3 day stay at Vnukowo with a 10 ton plane.

Hey, that was reasonable fuel at 70 cts per liter…if it was avgas for your DC-3 I’d say you got a pretty good deal ;)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I think this video was originally planned also in an English version, but so far it hasn‘t come, so at this point I will just post the link to the German version of the video.

Two guys (who don’t speak a word of Russain) with two D-reg ultralights who have flown deep into Russia this summer.
They used Makgas for the permits and fuel and they seem to be the best people to use for Russia trips. No navigators, and some legs also included small domestic aerodromes (one of which however had a terrible runway). So at least some of what the guy above in this thread wrote seems to be true. Quite a lot of zigzagging though. No info about costs in the film.

It makes certain sense to fly a trip like this with a microlight… one needs permits for each and every flight anyway, so it doesn‘t matter if the aircraft is certified or not. And the Rotax engine will take any sort of petrol available.

A very well made video, too.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Nov 20:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

No info about costs in the film.
Thats unfortunately often a ‘problem’ for many trip reports. To be honest, I also don’t post information about costs in my videos, simply because others don’t do it too on YouTube. But I do share the prices of landing, fuel and handling fees etc. on other platforms. I guess this might have been quite an expensive trip, can’t imagine that Russia with a handling agent is a cheap or even reasonable prized destination for GA.

Nonetheless, the video is indeed well made and highly interesting, as I saw it too last week. With a Rotax, it seems to be easier to cross towards the Caspian Sea or Caucasus Mountains via Russia than via Turkey, as Turkey has zero Avgas or Mogas east of Antalya. With a diesel engine, the game might chance of course.
Last Edited by Frans at 26 Nov 11:43
Switzerland

Looks like a nice trip but some extra details on logistics would have been useful

boscomantico wrote:

It makes certain sense to fly a trip like this with a microlight… one needs permits for each and every flight anyway, so it doesn‘t matter if the aircraft is certified or not. And the Rotax engine will take any sort of petrol available

That is true, I had a Russian friend who keeps banging that “private certified RA-reg/RF-reg aircraft” are illegal in Russian unless you have some high form of permission or it’s state owned, however, “sports and non certified aircraft” are the way to go and very encouraged by the state and federation bodies, he also claims that Russian CAA (Rosaviatsiya) does not have RA-xxx regs allocated for private certified aircraft with ICAO CoFA they only issue them for private Aeroplanes without type certificate (experimental & permits) but they are ok with registering Gliders & Ultralights…

He owns LY-reg Auster and he flew it to Russia once

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Nov 11:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“private certified RA-reg/RF-reg aircraft” are illegal in Russia

There’s a Russian registered P210 on the ramp at Cannes today. Last week there was a Russian registered C172. SO it must be possible, though maybe difficult.

LFMD, France

Were they RF-regs (government) or RA-regs? my understanding to bypass some restrictions lot are owned via Shell/SPV companies but I guess it’s nowhere as easy as “US trusts”…

From FB page, they have shinny facilities though, Cannes looks mesirable in comparaison

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Someone I know (well, knew, he’s dead now) had a C337 over here on the RA-register. When he got his Russian pilot ratings, apparently they just asked him what add-ons he wanted, he could just pay them some money and they’d give him whatever ratings he wanted! The C337 and his Russian ticket were basically a defence over the CAA ever suspending his licence (he operated very close to the wind).

Andreas IOM

I plan to go to Saint Petersbourg late June next year (2 days, entry from Finland, exit to Estonia) and ask a quotation from makgas.com for 2 planes less than 2 tons.
They replied very shortly :

So about 1.100 € per aircraft, mainly handling at ULLI.

Last Edited by LimaVictor at 29 Nov 10:27
Sign in to add your message