Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experiences with Russia

How did that guy German kid ….whats his name? Matias Russ do it? He did it with a 172 if Im not mistaken.

KHTO, LHTL

Mathias Rust

C210_Flyer wrote:

He did it with a 172 if Im not mistaken.

Yea well but he did not exactly ask for permission…. instead he put all of GA in bad light when he simply flew in there and landed on the red square.

Spent some time in prisonin Russia but unfortunately was released too early, only to become delinquent again in Germany over and over again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

GA in bad light? In the USSR? Who cares …
Rust was still an idiot, but mostly for other reasons ….

Alexis wrote:

GA in bad light? In the USSR? Who cares …

Russian participants in this forum has hinted that restrictions on GA still in force in Russia are reactions to Rust’s flight.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Sep 09:27
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s really ridiculous. First of all RUSSIA ist not the USSR, and other than that the whole place is not a democracy and would never allow GA in the sense we think about it anyway. That’s just a stupid excuse for not giving people freedom.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Russian participants in this forum has hinted that restrictions on GA still in force in Russia are reactions to Rust’s flight.

Well, I am no longer based in Russia, but I was born there, lived there for a substantial part of my life, and learned to fly there, and now is the first time I hear that current restrictions on GA have to do with Mathias Rust. They are 100% due to the ever-present power-hungry KGB spirit still pervading Russia. Actually, I don’t even want to single out the KGB (which is now FSB) – The Flying Machine by Ray Bradbury local copy explains it all the same.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The Bradbury text is beautiful, @Ultranomad, thanks for the link!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Crossing Russia made easy – from Austria to Japan

Wolf Reichenberger – one of my heroes – makes it look so easy! Check out these two videos:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great trip, thanks for sharing! I would be interested in doing the same but I’m a bit afraid of logistic problems: permissions, landing fees, re-filling oxygen etc. And I guess that any problem that needs mechanic assistance would mean end of trip and major hassle of retrieving aircraft. It would be nice to get some technical data: total length of trip, average length of legs, average speed, planning tools used (route, weather, altitude choice) etc.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message