Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To the end of the world

Yes, @Jujupilote we will fly back home. Not exactly the same route, but NAT again.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Outstanding !! Keep us posted !
Do you plan to fly your Mooney back the way you came ? Back to Germany ?

LFOU, France

Thank you all! And sorry for being back a little late, we had an AVGAS adventure here in Manaus, but now tanks are full again…

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Will you do any dancing in Argentina (tango) or just eat big steaks???

If you had ever seen me dancing you wouldn’t ask ;-) So it’ll be steaks only, already practicing here in Brazil!

RobertL18C wrote:

Great trip report and a very fine Mooney – might you share some details on the model and avionics? It looks like you carried out all the planning and research.

One day I hope to carry out Cartagena to Ushuaia…but on a push bike , and single engine.

Roland and Urs already answered about the Mooney, here is a thread where I posted about the panel upgrade.

We did planning, research and the permits all our self. We have some remote help here in Brazil as we don’t speak Portuguese and it’s not easy to get along with Spanish (let alone English) here.

Cartagena to Ushuaia is really far, Columbia, Brazil and Argentina, all in full length. If you ever do that please let me know!

dublinpilot wrote:

If you have more photos of Greenland, I’d love to see them!

I’m afraid I don’t have any more worth posting from this trip, Colm, but I have a few from last time which I think are pretty nice. I’ll post them in the random pictures thread…

BTW we’re off for some jungle sightseeing the next days, so no flying. I’ll report back once there is something to tell.

Gunter

Last Edited by terbang at 26 Sep 20:10
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

That‘s funny, i have once flown N20VR when it was still brand new and with the dealer. Great airplane.

After the 252 came one more, the “Encore”, which was even more refined. (10 more horesepower and 230 more lbs of highly needed useful load). I had the pleasure of flying one of those (rare) birds some years ago (N20VR). A wonderful machine.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice trip! What terrifies me more than anything is really dense Amazonian jungle, so I could never do this. But I’m glad people like you do so we can live vicariously through you!

Utterly inspiring! Thank you!

An American earthrounding lady said in lecture at Sywell that the great advantage of the Mooney was that the door is wide enough to get an oil drum onto the back seat, yet leaving the seat in place for sightseeing trips along the way.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

I would simply not be brave enough to do that in a single otherwise.

Guy I know does not fly Swiss long haul anymore because they only have twins now, he goes via LH and only on flights operated by 4 engined planes even if it takes days more…. everyone has to decide on his own what risk to take and what not. Staying home is not safe either…

With an airplane and engine I know well I would probably have done it if I could have made the time, but it was not to be and won’t in the future either. But a nice M20K 252 like this is the ideal long range GA traveller. Fast, economical and very reliable if properly maintained. There are many in the Mooney world who think the 252 was the best Mooney ever and I tend to agree. It was the the best of the K series anyhow.

Great trip Terbang, hope to see more. And congrats on that Equator crossing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

RobertL18C wrote:

a very fine Mooney – might you share some details on the model

I can answer that part. It’s a M20K (252) – one of my favorits back when I didn’t know that much about costs of ownership
terbang – thanks for the great report. This kind of trip will remain a dream for me unfortunately and – to be honest – I wouldn’t have the balls to do it in a SEP. Have fun

EDLE

Great trip and report. Thank you.

LPFR, Poland
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message