Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hiking fly-in: Spain 2018, LECD etc

BUMP!

Could we have a show of wings for even a tentative interest in this fly-in?

New date: 9th June.

A definite possibility for me +1

Bordeaux

I’m in if I can get my annual done in time, 50/50 chance

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I am working in Andorra for a few days and took a road trip to LECD today. There were a few people around, a student doing solo’s on gliders and the balloon man on the longest phone call I can remember since the advent of Cellular comms! A shame as the other half is particularly keen to try a balloon flight!
A point to note from the gliding instructor, Weekends are very busy with gliders and knowing how many of you talk about flarm, tcas etc, I asked how many of them have Transponders, Not many! He actually said only 4 out of a fleet of maybe 20 – 25? As I was leaving another one was entering on a trailer! I saw three tugs, all MS Rallies one French reg the other two ES Reg out on the apron, not in the hangar. So guessing they will be busy!
Circuits to the south and call as soon as able to asses likely traffic. English will be no problem as they have a multitude of Euro language pilots. The Sky demon on my phone was within 100’ on altitude and this impressed the instructor as he hadn’t seen the software before, and you could probably add 50 feet to the centre of the runway from where we were!
The swimming pool had no water and the temp on the car gauge was well up into 28 degrees ish! While my boss was moaning about rain and cold back in La Massana!! There is still A LOT of snow on the mountains, Arcalis in Andorra still has over 4 meter high sheer snow banks which were cut to get the tourists to the ski stations (where the money is here) and the roads are still blocked over the High passes to Os Civis etc (unless you have a quad or motocross bike)! i didn’t notice the date change and discovered they are having a disabled flying day this Saturday 26th, but that is of no importance now!
The Apron is huge and hangars are available at an extra cost. For ad-hock flights, landing is 5 euros for all day touch and goes parking whatever! I forgot to check fuel state, but the motorised aircraft were flying, so guess there is some? The welcome was extremely friendly and come in any time was the basic message.
I hope my aircraft is out of maintenance and ready for the trip, or work takes me back there as it would be great to spend a weekend there with you all.
PS 10 minutes in a taxi will get you to Puigcerda where a whole range of hotels are available for about the same as an hours fuel, and up to what ever you fancy? Are there any hard suggestions for Restaurants for the meetup or if Argentinian Asado and Dulce De Leche are acceptable I can recommend La Pampa for price, service and Quality, not to mention the Donna Paula Malbec! You can find it here Avinguda de Catalunya, 37 Puigcerda.
Hope to meet up with you all wings or wheels on the 9th.
Regards BOXT.

I’m afraid the wx is not helpful again, especially on sunday. I think we should cancel. In any event, I won’t come.

I don’t know if anyone did this meetup but if not, I would suggest doing it later in the year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, the meetup was cancelled again.

LFOU, France

New try for the weekend of 30 June. Prob40 no (organized) hiking and 3 persons are interested to come sat/sun. Garrett is based there and would be present.
Telegram group still active. See post 1.

@hypoxiacub is famous

BTW I think we should still do this trip, later this year when it is cooler.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I might be a bit known…

23/9 to 25/10 is roughly the best period to go in the fall. The only issue is if a rain system comes through, though in my experience it remains unsettled for a couple of days at most. October is usually pretty dry and sunny. First half of September can act a lot like August, even into late September.

Great photos there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message