Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avgas (100LL) availability NW Africa (Cap Verde, Senegal, Mauritania)

Hey, urgent update please from the knowledeable ones, what is the avgas situation in GOBD after GOOY is now military (plus the aeroclub which whom I was briefly in contact)?

Thanks, and cheers from SBFZ

Got the answer, in barrels, 188l for 388 €. Pump siruation unkown lol. Gotta take the entire barrel.

Last Edited by Hitbacker at 29 Nov 18:34

There are several people here who do trips down there. @vrh does it from France and he might know. In fact I see an old post of his above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have been flying from the Canary Islands through Western Sahara to Atar in Mauritania. We had the fuel barrel delivered to Atar by road from the aeroclub at Nouakchott. Using a Turtle Bag was no problem on refilling, except for some strange looks, when you expressed that there was another tank to fill inside. You will be heavy on departure, so have a good look at your performance figures, concepts like density altitude and plan accordingly.

As for Cap Verde, it should be (at least) possible to fly there inbound and outbound again and get the overflight and landing permits required. The AVGAS probably has to come along on your flight to Cap Verde if none is available there e.g. in a Turtle Bag. Flying around the islands might be a bigger challenge. Some countries will easily allow you to fly inbound and outbound, but a permit to fly around the islands sometimes is harder to get. You might want to give these guys a try: http://www.africanflightpermit.com/locations/cape-verde/

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 01 Dec 13:10
EDLE, Netherlands

No information about availability of pumps at GOBD for manual transfer of fuel from drum to aircraft (GOBD is the new airport at Dakar, the other airport (GOOY) is now reserved for military use, air club can no longer help with refuelling).

388€ for drum of 188l seems to be good price. Usual price (Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal) is at least 3€ / litre, e.g. at Dakhla.

Here are some photos of refuelling ops taken yesterday at Saly (note: we bought this fuel from private source, there is no fuel at Saly).

Bordeaux

Enjoy the trip Jojo, I hope to do it with you some day !

Say Hi to Patrick for me !

LFOU, France

Jojo, what great adventure!

Have a safe and enjoyable journey, and we expect a spectacular trip report..

Last Edited by aart at 03 Dec 07:44
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Jojo wrote:

drum of 188l seems to be good price

188L seems exactly around the size of standard long range tanks in most club aircraft (coincidence?)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I did the calculations looks like 50 USG

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It is the size of the standard oil drum. You have to buy whole drums and pay for it all.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 03 Dec 11:08
LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message