Welcome to our forums

UK CAA authorised FE

Yep, I replied twice by email!

I’ll pm you his email address.

Hope this helps,

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

hello,
i have similar needs i have a uk easa ppl and have done the checkflight with a easa instructor now i am looking for a uk examiner who can sign off the relevant papers i can send him copy of check flight etc.
i am based partly in germany (frakfurt area) and portugal (algarve)

greatful for any hints

fly2000

I find these requests very curious.

I had a UK-issued JAA PPL, but I live in the Netherlands. Every time I needed to do a revalidation (either by experience or by test), I used a FE who had his JAA FE issued by the Dutch authorities. I made a copy of his FE authorization papers, sent the UK forms to the UK CAA together with the copy of the authorization papers, and all was well.

Under EASA this should have been much easier as all examiners should be equal. But EASA has made things quite a lot more difficult and formal instead. Each member state is able to set its own procedures and authorization scheme, and examiners need to comply with these. So examiners are dealing with perhaps 20+ different NAAs, each with different procedures and such. I can imagine that’s simply not funny anymore, hence the search for “same” examiners: Examiners who got their paperwork from the same NAA as the candidate.

The legal basis for all this is FCL.1015(c). Fortunately countries are required to file their differences and procedures with EASA, and all these can be found here: http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Examiner%20Differences%20Document_version_04_2014.pdf

The CAA has described their process pretty well, and it should be no problem whatsoever for a non-UK issued EASA FE to get the necessary authorization from the CAA. But it is a multi-step process which needs to be followed exactly.

And once the authorization is in place, here is the Examiners Handbook: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_FlightExaminersHandbook%202014vNov%2014.pdf

A revalidation by proficiency check is indeed allowed by an examiner having his licence issued by a different authority. (FCL 1015)
But the FCL says nothing about the administrative procedure relating to a revalidation by experience.
It seems to me that only a UK examiner may endorse your licence for revalidation by experience, although I could not find any official notice to support that.
If you know a FE in any of the Charentes (La Rochelle, Royan etc.), Dordogne (Saint Foy La Grande, where there is a very friendly gliding club that I recommend, Bergerac etc.) please let me know as I’d like to revalidate my TMG by experience during my vacation in France.

Edit thanks to [empty URL – flyer.co.uk] I could get the reference
it’s Table 4 C p 31 of the FLIGHT EXAMINERS’ HANDBOOK 2014
SPA CLASS REVALIDATION BY EXPERIENCE
Who can certify: Any examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 26 Jul 16:38
Paris, France

Piotr_Szut, I think the post above yours, by Backpacker, says the same… I think?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter: Backpacker says " (either by experience or by test)"
The CAA does allow a revalidation by test (the EASA term is “proficiency check”) by a non UK examiner.
Backpacker implied that it was possible for a revalidation by experience, but it is not.

Paris, France

I am a UK Examiner residing in France, if I can help with any revalidations drop me a PM.

How can you reside in a country and maintain examiner privilege if your EASA licences is issued in a different country?
The reg says
FCL 1.025
(b) Revalidation. An examiner certificate shall be revalidated when the holder has, during the validity period of the certificate:
(1) conducted at least 2 skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence every year;
(2) attended an examiner refresher seminar provided by the competent authority or by an ATO and approved by the competent authority, during the last year of the validity period.
(3) One of the skill tests or proficiency checks completed during the last year of the validity period in accordance with (1) shall have been assessed by an inspector from the competent authority or by a senior examiner specifically authorised to do so by the competent authority responsible for the examiner’s certificate.
(4) When the applicant for the revalidation holds privileges for more than one category of examiner, combined revalidation of all examiner privileges may be achieved when the applicant complies with the requirements in (b)(1) and (2) and FCL.1020 for one of the categories of examiner certificate held, in agreement with the competent authority

(1) is not an issue
(2) requires a to travel and stay there a few days. Still doable
(3) how can you arrange that if you don’t have any client in your license country? Do you request a senior examiner to travel?

Paris, France

Easier to do a dummy test with a senior examiner at the same when you travel over to do the seminar

Now retired from forums best wishes

CAA will do the documents for 88£
I use a Danish FE, but I think he had to make somekind of registration/request with the UK CAA to be able to process the documents.
I use a local instructor and then send of the paperwork to the FE. He signs the license and forms and send the documents to the UK and the signed license back to me.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark
Sign in to add your message