Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA statement on Electronic Conspicuity

It was true very recently, Timothy. None of the Farnborough units for example could see it, or so they said.

The main NATS radars (London Control etc) always could; they developed some software for managing holding stacks (I saw a demo) which they tried to sell to other countries. But these absolutely never offer a service to VFR GA.

Does any UK ATC see ADS-B OUT? I think this is a key Q because if they can’t (like many/most can’t see Mode S?) what is the beneficiary of this new CAA position? I am sure they are not doing it for the benefit of GA (e.g. the TAS function) especially as mid-airs are extremely rare.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you look at the UK NATS ipad app., which to me seems like a much better version of FR25, it amalgamates UK NATS radar data, and ADSB. It is also stated that it is a cut down version of a system they use far ATC, so I think by implication they can see ADS-B.

In the link I originally posted they talk about trials of a traffic display system in Scotland

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

what is the beneficiary of this new CAA position? I am sure they are not doing it for the benefit of GA (e.g. the TAS function) especially as mid-airs are extremely rare.

Well, they appear to be doing it with GA as the beneficiary. I’m sure GA airfields that can’t possibly afford a radar feed from NATS for £££££££ will benefit greatly too. Even at our quiet airfield we’d be ecstatic if the majority carried ADS-B, and we could have a laptop set up in our glider launch point vehicle showing all the ADS-B targets. It’s very cheap to receive ADS-B – it can all be done with SDR (in other words, a £10 WinTV dongle and antenna, and a laptop) – the problem is not enough people are radiating. Make it inexpensive and make it portable and more people will do it, especially if small GA airfields promote it – because pilots will see and get a benefit from it.

Mid-airs are rare but as you’ve pointed out yourself on numerous occasions, Mk.1 eyeball just isn’t adequete (either air-to-air, or ground-to-air, especially with the dodgy position reports some people give) and there are an awful lot of airproxes. Just going through the Manchester LLR on a nice day would be much better if most people had an inexpensive EC system.

Andreas IOM
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message