Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK: do you fly under a listening watch / listening squawk / FMC?

RobertL18C wrote:

but it allows the controller to vector instrument traffic

But if you are not actually working the unit then your Mode S altitude is still ‘unverified’ from their perspective, is it not? That being the case, I can’t see a traffic management advantage for them compared to you just squawking 7000 (other than the ability to call you up).

I often have a listening watch, I just don’t set the code. In any case, the Vagabond has no transponder. :-) In the TB10 I am more commonly dealing with Farnborough, and I guess my attitude is a reaction to their attitude in recent years. They once pretty much instructed me (in Class G) to stop climb when I was heading up through a layer of IMC. When I said no they vectored their inbound (as they should) and then unnecessarily told me how many extra track miles the jet had needed as a result.

EGLM & EGTN

You should try Norcal on the SFO departure frequency. Or arrival for that matter, I did once have to bust my assigned altitude simply because I couldn’t get a word in edgeways and I needed to land. They were cool with it, just handed me off unbidden.

Last Edited by johnh at 06 Feb 05:57
LFMD, France

Same here.

EGTR

I use them all the time.

If in an AIAA I would use a listening watch. I am not expecting a service but it allows the controller to vector instrument traffic, a reasonable proportion of which may be emergency helicopter or medevac aircraft, so not just a HNWI.

Further down the food scale there is IFR training feeding the lo cost zero to hero sausage machine.

Listening squawk should and is viewed as a mitigation in the event of infringement. I have certainly received helpful RT in the proximity of temporary airspace, old style ‘purple’ flights.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have never used one.

Firstly I plan not to infringe. Dedicating my radio and my transponder to a function designed to help a nearby ATSU (who are not providing me with a service) in the unlikely event that I do infringe is not, in my view, a good use of that equipment.

Secondly, while I am perfectly capable of dealing with machine-gun RT, it is not my choice of background music.

Thirdly when it comes to units like Farnborough I do not want to give them the opportunity to try and control me in class G for the benefit of their high net worth traffic.

EGLM & EGTN

I don’t tend to use FMC.

I prefer a radar based FIS (aka. Traffic Service in the UK) and/or clearance through the airspace instead.

A busy Approach or Radar channel doesn’t bother me at all.

I usually get the ATIS and set the relevant Frequency Monitoring Code (so ATC may notice me if they are paying attention). Then I listen and check ADS-B in to get a picture of other traffic.

Then I call for a transit anyway.

Unless I have misunderstood Mr Gratton’s “zero tolerance” airspace infringement policy (in which case I’ll be delighted for him to correct me), just setting the FMC with Extended Squitter is insufficient. If I’m flying close enough to CAS to need the FMC, then I’m close enough to need a proper transit clearance.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

You can go with 0012 east and 0013 west they are much quiet on weekends (just don’t use 7000 )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Most of the bigger airports won’t give you a service. Yes; the idea is that if you infringe they can call you to get out of there, which should reduce the severity of the infringement. I am told that once your Mode C is verified, the 5000ft add-on becomes just 1000ft. But if you actually went inside CAS you will still get MORd and then busted by the CAA…

My original point was that the radio is pretty busy, distracting, and I have the feeling that not many will be listening to it. It certainly isn’t some frequency on which somebody will just call you up. It is a really busy approach/tower control unit and to get anything out of it you have to have the volume up and listen to it constantly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message