Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US trip (and engine failure at St Johns)

Meeting a mechanic tomorrow. Too bad, starting to like this town ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Our trip is unfortunately over, our engine is shagged. Consider myself very lucky as to where the engine failure happened.
Now trying to sort a Lycoming engine in St Johns. Fun…

Ouch, sorry to hear that. What happened exactly?

Is that a O-540-A1D5? There is one on Barnstormers – https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1487844

Let me know if you need help with calling engine shops, etc .. 4 years of caring for TIO-540’s gave me good training at spelling part numbers over the phone.

Last Edited by wleferrand at 22 Jul 11:48

Wow you are both the luckiest and unluckiest pilot in the world now.

Sorry for the plane.

LFOU, France

I posted a bit too fast as the engine on the picture looks fuel injected and the barnstormer’s is carbureted. Hope you’ll find a remplacement quickly!

Yes finding the engine proves to be a bit of a issue – if anyone has any ideas on sourcing an IO540 N1A5 be keen to hear.

Glad it happened where it did.

That’s amazing timing!! Very sorry to hear.

That is where the camshaft is, no?

Do you have facilities e.g. hangarage, an engine lifting crane, tools, etc?

Then getting authorisation from the CAMO for a local A&P to do the engine swap.

The engine will need to come either brand new with an 8130-3, or overhauled with an EASA-1 or dual release 8130-3. Some US shops can do a dual release (e.g. Pen Yan). There used to be a route for a used engine for a G-reg involving an Export CofA (8130-4) but that ended some years ago and I don’t know if it came back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you ever thought of moving this aircraft to the N-reg maybe it’s just the time to do so?

Sorry to hear, but at least you’re safe and sound. What happened?

Sign in to add your message