Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US trip (and engine failure at St Johns)

Sorry and happy to hear at the same time.
I’ll ask around – it’s a long shot but you never know.

always learning
LO__, Austria
always learning
LO__, Austria

No mention of EASA approval.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was a recommendation from a local… call in any case.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Gave them a call our engine is pretty rare – but they will have a look if they can rebuild…

And sorry very rude – thank you for the recommendation

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 22 Jul 20:53
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

That is where the camshaft is, no?

Do you have facilities e.g. hangarage, an engine lifting crane, tools, etc?

Then getting authorisation from the CAMO for a local A&P to do the engine swap.

The engine will need to come either brand new with an 8130-3, or overhauled with an EASA-1 or dual release 8130-3. Some US shops can do a dual release (e.g. Pen Yan). There used to be a route for a used engine for a G-reg involving an Export CofA (8130-4) but that ended some years ago and I don’t know if it came back.

Hi Peter, sorry yes I missed your post, things been pretty hectic…

I do indeed believe that is where our camshaft is (not that I know much about engines, I only know that they can stop ;-) )

The plane is in a heated hangar (you can eat off the floor) of a local maintenance company who do only turbo props but have 1 of their mechanics who is the local piston ace who they allow to do all the piston work in their hangar while they will sort dual sign off. If I am talking jibberish – I have no idea how this shit works but my partner does ;-)

Our mechanic in the UK will sort everything for us on our end – gotta have a good one and we do, he has taken care of our plane for the past 20 years. We just had the annual done and all the compressions were above 70 of that means anything to anyone…

Finding our engine is going to be impossible (unless brand new) as we run a pretty rare type of Lycoming (again I am told this but know nothing about it…) an IO540 N1 A5…

We were very, very lucky getting into St Johns…

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

We were very, very lucky getting into St Johns…

So what happened?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Try also
http://xu-aviation.com/ and
Aircraft Spruce

always learning
LO__, Austria

Airborne_Again wrote:

So what happened?

The summary is that we took off from Reykjavik on Thursday morning and flew pretty much direct to St Johns as i said we would. The engine ran perfectly, good oil temps, CHT and EGT right where they needed to be. The crossing was good, we were in IMC for maybe 2hours of the 9.5 hour crossing but only picked up some light rime and everything was very good.

After getting back in touch with Gander on the VHF (we were on HF until then) and being cleared for our decent, from 10.000 feet to 2.200feet, we were roughly 30 miles out, the engine started shaking violently and suddenly.
It was a pretty scary moment, I won’t lie. Declared an emergency immediately and without hesitation and as we reduced power we managed to drag her in (an added fun factor was that we had a 38kt headwind at this stage) at 86kts ground speed. Oil temp stayed in the green but it seemed to me we had lost cylinder #2.

Put her down on 29 where the fire trucks followed us in to our parking spot pretty much right off the runway. And now we’re hunting for a way to sort the engine. Crankcases are dead on both sides as you can see from the pictures I posted earlier so something in that engine went wrong pretty catastrophically.

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

we were roughly 30 miles out, the engine started shaking violently and suddenly.

WOW.

I reckon you both are now celebrating a 2nd birthday from now on every year.

Not that I know much about engines, but has this engine ever done such long range flights before? 9 hours running on one stretch is pretty long if the usual trips are in the 2-3 hour range. But that is really wild guessing on my part…

Hope you are going to get sorted out soon. That looks like a very capable airplane you got there.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Jul 09:24
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message