Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US trip (and engine failure at St Johns)

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I’m extremely keen to figure out what happened – am hoping to get pictures back from Lycoming (they are getting our old engine back). I will share of course.

I assume it is a mandatory reporting item with the AAIB.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I assume it is a mandatory reporting item with the AAIB.

And quite possibly the canadian TSB as this is where it happened.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am pleased to report I now have only had engine failures on 50% of my transatlantic crossings ;-) After doing a lot of this…

… and this

for 7 hours on Thursday at 3000 ft (got the new engine in on Tuesday but the weather in New Foundland was too bad to fly on Wednesday) we flew across the Atlantic to Rejkjavik at FL080 on Friday. The weather was not forecast to be good enough to be going across Greenland (naarsaarsuaq was fine, but there was snow and fog over the icecap).
So it was another direct, 10h17 mins. The engine has bedded in (look at me talking all technical ;-) ) and we’re virtually not using any oil at all.

Yesterday we flew Rejkjavik – Isle of Man direct, 6h35 minutes – we’ve had headwinds of 30 to 55kts this whole trip – both ways…

I’m back in London for work now ready to start the week tomorrow while the plane gets a good look over by the Mechanic too. It’s been quite the adventure. Thanks to everyone on this great forum who have offered help, advise and support. You know who you are…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Glad you have her back. Great job handling what must have been a terrible situation.

EGTK Oxford

Great job.

LFOU, France

Well done LFHNflightstudent.

You did have a lucky escape there, too

Occassionally, luck is on our side.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great to hear!

always learning
LO__, Austria

There is a guy based at Blackbushe who has a holiday home near St John’s.
If I recall correctly, he flew his Single Commanche from Blackbushe to St Johns and back 16 times (32 crossings) before he upgraded to a twin (Commanche of course) a fe2 years back – and has done c 12 return trips in the Twin-com.

Lefty
EGLM

Crazy story @LHFNflightstudent

In intended to cross the Atlantic two times so far.
Once last year and once this year.

Last year logistics prevented it and this year I made it as far as the UK before being accepting a new job onthe spot here!
So there was no point flying the plane across…

So glad you didn’t experience that at any other stage in the flight. Holy smokes that is crazy!

Tom32 wrote:

There is a guy based at Blackbushe who has a holiday home near St John’s.
If I recall correctly, he flew his Single Commanche from Blackbushe to St Johns and back 16 times (32 crossings) before he upgraded to a twin (Commanche of course) a fe2 years back – and has done c 12 return trips in the Twin-com.

Hi Tom, yes I know David and he has a lovely house indeed…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message