Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Using Uber to get from/to airport

loco wrote:

On Sunday taxis charge more and Uber doesn’t. Then you might see half price.

Yes, it was on Sunday.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In addition to what I wrote before, today I got an email from myTaxi – they are merging with Hailo to provide the same service to UK, Ireland and Spain (selected cities, respectively).

Michael_J wrote:

So what’s next?`
Taxi flights on a PPL in you own C172/PA28 etc?

Are you sure you want to kick-off that discussion here again?

http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/5551-are-flight-sharing-websites-good-or-bad-for-the-future-of-ga#post_99442

http://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/4895-dgac-objecting-to-cost-sharing-in-some-situations#post_82575

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

So what’s next?`
Taxi flights on a PPL in you own C172/PA28 etc?

EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

Other advantages include online payment so no need to carry any means of payment.

[…]

The drivers were all polite which one cannot always say about taxi drivers – but then the Uber driver needs to get good feedback

Some of these advantages are not exclusive to Uber, however.

In Germany, there is an app called “myTaxi”. I have long resisted it but now I’m a fully convinced convert. I use it up to 10 times per week for business travel.

It allows you to order a cab anywhere you are, pre-order, make selections as to what kind of car (select “Mercedes E-Klasse”) and what type of driver (select “only 5 star drivers”) you want. You can pay in-app with the swipe of a finger, including a tip if you like. There is no receipt and in my case, the service sends an electronic receipt directly into my company’s travel management solution Concur (previously, I’d had to SCAN the paper receipts, which was the most horrible admin thing I had to do).

Even if you just jump into a taxi with the “MyTaxi” label, the app (if you have location services enabled) can identify your proximity to the driver’s phone and hence allows you to use all the features that ride as well.

The rating system (after each ride, you can assign 1-5 stars to the car and the driver separately) visibly improves driver’s friendliness over “non-myTaxi”-drivers. They really go out of their way to make your ride enjoyable.

Not saying it’s better than Uber, but at least in Germany, it’s a pretty handy solution. Of course, standard taxi fares apply.

Last Edited by Patrick at 26 Jul 09:46
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Uber has worked really well for me in Paris and London.

I have never tried to use it outside a major city, which is where it might be more difficult.

Nonetheless it is really good.

EGLK, United Kingdom

I’d say Uber is 20% cheaper than taxi in Poland. On Sunday taxis charge more and Uber doesn’t. Then you might see half price.

Uber had a maximum age of car requirement in Poland. That made the ride safer and better smelling. Unfortunately the requirement was recently removed.

Last Edited by loco at 26 Jul 05:31
LPFR, Poland

LFPN → Paris with taxi – 70€
Paris → LFPN with Uber 28€

We have Uber in Croatia but the difference is no so huge – it’s usually 20% cheaper than taxi.

I had similar experience in Krakow – Uber was half of taxi price.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

As someone who has to routinely pay 20€ for a 5 minute taxi ride in Germany I long for Uber – sadly it is not allowed there.
Have used it multiple times at other places – worked great. The drivers in the UK are however not treated well by Uber bit they still did a great job and were very friendly!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I believe Hungary has banned Uber via legislation.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

What is curious is why Uber is not available in so many places – for example Brighton. It seems to be a purely online thing so could be anywhere.

I think they concentrate on major cities during the roll-out. Here is a list where they operate as of now.

Agree with all that has been said about French cab drivers – the vilest lot on the planet. I’d rather pay more for an Uber than ever use a Parisian taxi again.

Peter wrote:

Someone told me that France banned UberPop via some legal device.

I think that was Germany.

Last Edited by 172driver at 25 Jul 16:14
76 Posts
Sign in to add your message