Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Charts - electronic

I think same vector map as for everywhere.

Then you can buy raster charts if you want national maps. I use the UK 500k ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Out of curiosity, what basemap does FF use for VFR in Europe?

Products like SD and EVFR (and to some extent FF) are a huge benefit to flying in Europe, especially VFR but also IFR.

There is still a large % of pilots in Europe that don‘t ever fly beyond their national border. All European national providers of flight information have web sites and charts of varying degrees of quality and I dare to assume that each is taught as the primary information source during PPL training for various reasons not the least of which is local language. But a flight from Ireland to Bulgaria or Scandinavia to Spain or Greece means referencing x such information sources. If all the resources spent on this were given to a central organisation producing a single source and look-and-feel then the flying effort and cost in Europe would be closer to that in the US using FAA charts and reference documents. I see this as still being one of the primary limiting factors in GA flying across the European landscape. Of course that will never happen. So I give thanks to the providers of the 3 products above, if for no other reason than their ability to provde a single information source and help us to spend more time and effort on the flying itself.

LSZK, Switzerland

I believe (but haven’t checked) that is shows NOTAMs for today and tomorrow.

I have seen NOTAMs being shown for at least a week in advance.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

SD does show other NOTAMs without setting a date but supposedly with less advance notice than the Insignia app.

I believe (but haven’t checked) that is shows NOTAMs for today and tomorrow.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It shows for me. Did you set a flight date/time in SD when the NOTAM is active?

No I did not and after I did, it indeed shows, thanks. SD does show other NOTAMs without setting a date but supposedly with less advance notice than the Insignia app.

aart wrote:

Interesting to see that it shows a NOTAM just South of Palma CTR which is not (yet?) showing in SD.

It shows for me. Did you set a flight date/time in SD when the NOTAM is active?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Apr 08:47
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In theory, it may be true that one has to scan all the SUPs. In practice, Skydemon has been parsing any Temporary Restricted or Prohibited Areas promulgated by SUP etc. into their map very reliably

Thanks Bosco, that’s good to know.

Spain is modernizing:

https://insigniavfr.enaire.es/

The user interface is not great, but will likely improve over time. The ‘layers’ symbol provides further relevant data.

Here’s a shot of Mallorca. Interesting to see that it shows a NOTAM just South of Palma CTR which is not (yet?) showing in SD.

Last Edited by aart at 23 Apr 07:26

The AIP SUPs are available on the SOFIA website. If you create your narrow route and then go to Notams you get all NOTAMS which the route will pass through plus the number of the AIP SUP. You can then easily look the number up in the AIP SUP.

France

chflyer wrote:

I agree with the comment about checking AIP SUP. Usually NOTAMS will cover you, but not in France. Most apps provide NOTAMs but not AIP SUP for airspace restrictions, so the info needs to be obtained elsewhere.

In theory, it may be true that one has to scan all the SUPs. In practice, Skydemon has been parsing any Temporary Restricted or Prohibited Areas promulgated by SUP etc. into their map very reliably. Just a few very recent examples:

2024-068: ZIT over GAP
2024-069: 99 ZITs all across France
2024-070: North of Lyon ZIT
2024-071: Solenzara ZIT

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message