Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR maps Senegal and Mauretania?

Thanks for advise, @Aeroplus !

Yes, the screenshots are a great idea.
I did get the Jepps (in printed format) for Senegal & Mauretania. Maroc on iPad.

Let’s see if it all happens first – who knows I can also do a Africa tour later on !

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

After filing the flight plan, you will see a tab called addressing where you can see to whom it was addressed. You can not add your own addresses. This was possible but ran out of hand with incorrect addresses being added.

True, you can’t run Skyvector offline on your iPad. But you can make some screenshots of the areas you fly through and keep them as images on your iPad, then plan your route via IFR waypoints on the G430. There is not a lot of restricted or complicated airspace in these countries and if you follow airways, it will become even easier. File VFR as the flight level. Jeppesen has IFR charts of all of Africa, which I use for my trips through Africa for those areas not covered by SkyDemon. However, they come at a subscription price per year …

Enjoy the trip. If you have the opportunity, don’t only stay near the coastline but try to fly to things like the Eye of the Sahara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richat_Structure or Chinguetti. Or do that on a next trip.

EDLE, Netherlands

The guy probably sent it by telex to somebody who emailed it to you

I used telex in the 1970s and it vanished in Europe in the 1980s (initially it went virtual i.e. telex2fax and email2telex etc) but I believe the system still exists around Africa, operating parts of the AFTN. They likely still have real telex machines though they would be electronic 1980s ones, not the ITT Creed (I was offered a job there in 1973, aged 16, but went to college instead) mechanical sort.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The overflight & landing permission of Senegal came through via email. This was their text.
This is pure antique. It is art !

FF GOOOZIZX GOOYZPZX GOOYZTZX GOOYYKEN GOOYYKYX
291539 GOOYANAC
NR 1982/2016/ANACIM/DG/DTA DU 29 SEPTEMBRE 2016 STOP ATTN ATTN MR
xxxx xxxx STOP DONNONS ACCORD SVL/ATT GOSS/GOOY PROFIT VOL
D4UN AVION DE TOURISME/PA28R-201T/F-HRPC (FRANCE SAINT LOUIS DAKAR ET
RETOUR) PREVU DANS LA PERIODE DU 05 OCT AU 13 OCT 2016 STOP M SLTS
STOP /FIN
H.DIALLO

Abeam the Flying Dream

@Aeroplus

Let me start off by saying that your “Crossing Boundaries” book was a great resource in prepping this Africa flight.

Secondly, we will switch to the Aeroplus Flight Planning app. Is there a way to know which ATFN addresses are being addressed when filing VFR? Is there a way to add addresses when needed?

On Skyvector: too bad it’s hard to run this offline on an ipad. As indicated above, I did annotate all AIP and Skyvector info by hand on the TPC charts.

We contacted Nouakchott and allegedly they have indeed AVGAS …

Abeam the Flying Dream

@airborne_again

Proper Position Report:
(a) Identification;
(b) Position;
(c) Time;
(d) Altitude or flight level;
(e) Type of flight plan;
(f) ETA and name of next reporting point;
(g) The name only of the next succeeding reporting point along the route of flight; and
(h) Pertinent remarks.

For my convenience.

Abeam the Flying Dream

Airborne_Again wrote:

Proper position reports! A lost art in Europe and the US…

I had to do them in the US once, flying from SLC to somewhere in Arizona. Above the MEA and MOCA in a normally-aspirated early model C182, but no radar coverage for a good 150NM or so on my route. This was in about 2000. The newly overhauled attitude indicator then proceeded to roll over and die, fortunately after the IMC in Utah but unfortunately stopping me getting back to south east Texas which was hard IFR at the time. Stopped in Amarillo and flew back with Southwest, then collected the aircraft the following weekend when it was severe clear.

Last Edited by alioth at 29 Sep 12:47
Andreas IOM

AeroPlus wrote:

there is no radar environment, so they depend on you giving estimates to the next waypoints and destination.

Proper position reports! A lost art in Europe and the US…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just use Skyvector for planning a route along airways and/or IFR waypoints and then file the flight plan as a VFR flight with an IFR route. You don’t have to fly exactly along the airway, but having a route along IFR waypoints is what they will understand. In most of Africa, there is no radar environment, so they depend on you giving estimates to the next waypoints and destination. It then helps if you plan alomg some IFR waypoints, so you can provide ATC with estimates to waypoints they unferstand.

In Morocco you can also fly along several VFR routes, one of them going along the coastline.

You can fly VFR in all of Africa. Airspace in Africa is not that complicated. SkyVector has most of the important stuff. Once in the air, they won’t sknow where exactly you are anyways :-)

The aeroclub at the capital in Mauritania has avgas barrels. Might have to arrange the fuel well ahead and/or bring a fuel pump.

The filing of flight plans: most software does not address ok in Africa. Doublecheck the VFR addressing according to the AIPs or use Aeroplus Flightplan, which is free for VFR flights.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 29 Sep 02:52
EDLE, Netherlands

Can’t help you about fuel in mauritania… We always fly Dahkla Dakar as we have reserve with a DA42

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message