Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aiming for the iPad only tripkit

PiperArcher, exactly but then we are depending on the PC version again unfortunately. I guess the iPad wasn’t meant to be producing paper..

Lufthansa uses them in this size too, guess why!

Old pilots?

QuoteI really like the A4 printouts of the Approach charts. I put them in a plastic folder and I actually SEE all the little numbers and all. (Lufthansa uses them in this size too, guess why!)

Some of my (younger, obviously) wanted iPad minis when we introduced electronic charts. For me and my other over-fifty colleagues that would have meant having to buy a pair of magnifying glasses as well. Luckily we are in the majority and therefore got proper sized iPads. Our PLOGs (the only paper we still use) are A4 size which is a very good thing.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Picking up an older thread here.

I recently installed Parallels Access as well and I must say that it’s working unexpectedly well, both for the OSX apps but also the Windows applications that run in my Win 8.1 virtual machine. You get the iOS touch-style and magnifying glass in all applications.

I now get the best of two worlds directly from my iPad, proper printing to PDF features regarding layout (A5 format / Kneeboard friendly) and access to the Windows applications, mainly Jeppesen and Skydemon win version. The PDF files are automagically synchronized to Dropbox and available on my iPad.

Might not need to bring a laptop on the next trip after all :)

Why print out the approach charts if you have them on your iPad? Easy also to zoon in on the chart. I have 2 iPads with me, but the iPhone with SD can also we used as backup.

EDLE, Netherlands

And (for private flights I assume) print out the PLOG? On your G430 or whatever GPS device you can see the essential info right there.

EDLE, Netherlands

Just a habit I guess, feels comfortable :)

I pretty much stopped printing anything.

For VFR and IFR procedure charts, I use an ipad. For backup, I use another ipad.

Now, as far as things like navlog (“PLOG”), W&B, weather and NOTAMs are concerned, I use the briefing pack function of Rocketroute and have the pdf saved on my ipad.

The thing is that while it is not required to have anything on paper, you still need to have evidence of your preflight preparation with you.
I don’t know the exact wordings of the various air laws in other european countries, but in Germany, you need to…

…brief yourself with all information pertinent to the flight (the standard catch)…

AND

provide proof of that upon the request of an inspector. Accordingly, it is not sufficient to say…“yeah, I looked at all that stuff at home”. The pilot must prove that he did his preflight preparation, not the other way ’round. Many people seem to be unaware of that nowadays.

The RR briefing pack is really good for that purpose. Does Skydemon produce something like that, i.e. a single pdf file with all the preflight material?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 10:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The RR briefing pack is really good for that purpose. Does Skydemon produce something like that, i.e. a single pdf file with all the preflight material?

No, not as far as I can see.

The Print Centre in Skydemon (PC) collects all the items needed for such a briefing pack, but there is no “Print All” button. You need to print the individual items (PLOG, WB, weather brief, NOTAM, charts). Though in all fairness, even that is done in a couple of clicks/seconds and if your default printer is a PDF writer and you save to Dropbox or similar, you’re done in no time.

Still, I think I’ll add a suggestion to the SkyDemon forum…

Last Edited by Patrick at 08 Jan 10:49
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

provide proof of that upon the request of an inspector. Accordingly, it is not sufficient to say…“yeah, I looked at all that stuff at home”. The pilot must prove that he did his preflight preparation, not the other way ’round. Many people seem to be unaware of that nowadays.

Would your browser’s log (the ‘history’ file) be acceptable in this case?

In the US, this of course is one of the reasons to get a phone briefing.

QuoteNo, not as far as I can see

SkyDemon sends this collection via one email: Weight and Balance; Notam briefing; PLOG; TAF and Metar Briefing and a .gpx file with a route.

Sign in to add your message