Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Boeing 787 must be rebooted every 284 days

Could be – but not even Dubai One is operated like that. Realistically it’s not like you could depend on ground aircon to have it “nice and cool” in summer anyway.

The bean-counters would make sure whoever did that will pay the GPU bill out of his/her own pocket :)

But you’re assuming there that it’s operated by an airline for profit. Perhaps some wealthy Arab uses one as his personal biz jet, and wants to make sure that he can go to his aircraft at any time without notice, and find it nice and cool and air conditioned and ready to go. The additional cost might be minimal to him, but the difference between a profit and loss to an airline.

Are any 787s in private ownership?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

There are plenty of 2×GNS430 setups in Switzerland.

I am going to start a new thread on that one. It’s a very interesting topic (for some ).

The bean-counters would make sure whoever did that will pay the GPU bill out of his/her own pocket :)

Yes – I would hate to be a supplier to a company of that size. Right now I am dealing with a UK subsidiary of a $20BN US company, which employs a former gangster in a certain Balkan country (nothing to do with Yugoslavia I should add) as their “supply chain manager”. I assume they do it to keep their “supply chain management techniques” (which include automatically removing, from their approved supplier list, anybody who increases their price, even by 0.1%) below the radar of the US shareholders…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Aviathor, the ground power connection only provides power to the aircraft, but not heat / airconditioning. For that you either need the ground aircon unit to be connected (the large yellow-orange tube(s) that can sometimes be seen connected between the engines on ground stops) or the auxiliary power unit to be turned on.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 08 May 12:46

Keep the a/c heated and de-humidified?

LFPT, LFPN

I think it’d be hard to schedule 284 days without a single night-stop…

Theoretically, you could leave the buses powered during a night stop by using ground power. But why would anybody do that?

EDDS - Stuttgart

There are plenty of 2×GNS430 setups in Switzerland.

Re continuous runnning, on top of maintenance I think it’d be hard to schedule 284 days without a single night-stop. That would be impressive capacity utilisation.

Well I wasn’t far off…

Thanks for the link, what next.

284 days is awfully close to 24576000 in seconds. It is a common quartz crystal frequency, used to get useful baud rates in microcontrollers.

The EASA guy that came up with the idea that two Garmin 430 may not be interconnected unless they have different firmware versions will be very happy.

Did EASA allow 2 × GNS if they had different firmware? AFAIK they ban 2 × GNS regardless of firmware versions. There is a way around it e.g. Socata did it under the TB20 GT Type Certificate. The non-TC route involved a very expensive Part 21 design process which not many people did, though I recall a certain UK avionics shop did sell a paperwork package for about £2000 which allowed it, on a specific aircraft type.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The EASA guy that came up with the idea that two Garmin 430 may not be interconnected unless they have different firmware versions will be very happy.

I once owned a company doing standby server technology. We would have a cold standby server that would replicate all memory and disk changes happening on the production server and in case the production server went down, could automatically take over. In cases where there was disk/memory corruption and then a failure, our system would reliably mirror the corruption. Customers paid a lot of money for redundancy because it was a requirement (banks mostly) but all they got is a system that in some cases would just produce the same error on both systems

Anyway, aren’t airliners rebooted before every flight?

Not necessarily. If you have an APU or a ground power connection, then some buses may remain powered all the time. The GCUs on “my” little jet are connected to the main battery bus (which can also be powered from the external power connector) and as long as you don’t turn that bus off – by removing external power and switching the battery to OFF – the GCU will continue to operate. But I would say that 286 days of continuous operation is totally unrealistic for any aeroplane. This would mean no maintenance during which power has to be removed for 3/4 of a year? No way. So I can understand why the designers of this software didn’t look any further than integers for storing their timer signals. For me however, the real bug in this software is the behavior after the counter overflows: Instead of simply restarting, it puts the units into failsafe mode.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/faa-orders-new-787-electrical-fix-to-prevent-power-failure-411794/

EDDS - Stuttgart
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message