Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

smartCHECK, the Talking Checklist

And will there be one for a Piper 24 Comanche? (260C)? :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

If you make it, yes ;-)

Flyer59 wrote:

Very soon we will have that tool ready, and that it will be quite easy to make the checklist sets.

Any new on this tool to edit the Checklists ? Looking forward to have it (or even to test it)

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Why not allowing to export your personal check-list on a second ipad with the same app loaded ?

smartCHECK is at Version 3.02 now, and during the last months we have introduced several new features, which you can find here

The new feature I like best is the automatic After Takeoff Checklist and the Altitude AGL Announcements. The pilot sets a range of altitudes he wants to have announced after takeoff and they are both announced and displayed on the screen. Obviously this is not of much value for most pilots – but great for Cirrus pilots and pilots of other aircraft with BRS systems. The altitude AGL for the After Takeoff Checklist can be set and the checklist will be opened, read and closed automatically. More of these automatic features coming this spring/summer.

Here’s a short demo:

I want to introduce further autojump features in smartcheck to make it as much “hands free” as possible. At the moment these features are automatic:

1. when the plane starts to taxi the flight phase jumps from GND to TAXI/TAKEOFF (GPS registers movement)
2. when the plane reaches 35 kts GS on the runway the phase switches to AFTER T.O. and the GPS Elevation is registered and used as a reference for the altitude AGL. Depending on what the pilot has set the app will start to announce AGL (important for BRS equipped planes) and it will also open and read the AFTER TAKE OFF Checklist and close it again.
3. After Landing when the plane doesn’t move for +45 seconds the app switches to the SHUTDOWN phase and asks for the remaining fuel, which will be saved with date and time. After entering the remaininhg fuel the Shutdown checklist cas be used.

Now the next versions should have more “autojump features”, and these are my ideas (please comment!)_

1. When the AFTER TAKEOFF checklist is completed the CLIMB checklist could start, I think. Or should there be a defined time after the previous checklist is completed?
2. The CRUISE checklist could be defined with a threshold ground speed, for example 130 knots in the Cirrus OR it could come up if there is no altitude change for more than a minute
3. The descent checklist could be defined as the next checklist and if the GPS registers a descent (or more than x ft?)
4. I could also integrate a worldwide airport database and if the airplane is 1000 ft AGL and (let’s say) closer than 10 NM from an airport the LANDING CHECKLIST could be activated.
5. FINAL CHECKLIST is easy: less than two miles and below 500 ft AGL

Every autojump features should have an ON/OFF switch so that every pilot could set it up according to his needs. If I integrate the airport database an completely automatic log could be introduced (fFlight Time from < 35 kts to Landing Time at > 35 kts GS).

Any ideas?
Who doesn’t know what sC can watch my little movie in the previous post.

Can some smartCHECK users (if there are any :-) please comment on the above ideas?

At the moment I am working on a minor improvement that will make it the horizontal scrolling smoother (and enable it from every screen position), but then I would like to start a major update … (above “autojump” features) and maybe (easy to do when i have the database) a completely automatic logbook that could also track maintenance intervals etc.

V3.02, only a small update, but something i missed on almost every flight: The horizontal scroll from one flight phase to the next/previous can now be done from every position of the page, the user does not have to scroll up to be able to swipe the page to the next flight phase. In the iTunes Appstore in the next days.

PS: Still thinking about more automation, see post above. Every input welcomed.

Is anybody HERE using smartCHECK on a regular basis? I know that I have around 1000 pilots worldwide using it but I need somebody to talk to and i cannot establish a connection to users through the appstore. (I could try through my FB page, but I’ll first try here)

I would like to develop some new features this fall, mainly to further automatize opening and reading of checklists. For example the After Takeoff Checklist now opens at a defined altitude AGL and (if the user wants that) the Climb Checklist follows automatically.

I have written down various ideas to achieve this, but it would be great to discuss these with somebody who has a little technical background and who actually uses the app in real life.

Last Edited by at 27 Sep 09:05

Hi Alexis,

I must confess that I was enthusiast and installed it but had some difficulties to edit the checklists… should have a look at it again, if I can adapt the checklist easily I will be more than happy to provide feedback… will look at this this week and tell you next week my feedback :-)

PS I understood that there would be an off-line editing tool to make checklists… is that still the case of have these to be edited within the app ?

Last Edited by jfw at 27 Sep 09:40
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
Sign in to add your message