Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dropbox and other hosted storage / "cloud storage"

If you would like to waste a day considering backup alternatives, then browse this reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

ESME, ESMS

alioth wrote:

When you consider the costs in time (and server costs) of running your own cloud service – unless it’s something you really enjoy doing – then $100/year is a bargain.

I backup important stuff to an AWS S3 bucket using a simple script scheduled to run at night.
The price tag is nice:
“First 50 TB / Month $0.0245 per GB”

EKRK, Denmark

That’s 98 USD per month for me, too expensive.

ESME, ESMS

As mentioned further back, a “self hosted dropbox” type of thing is not hard to set up. Synology in particular offer what looks like a good option and then you can have umpteen terabytes, limited only by your ADSL connection.

The downside is that you need to open up ports in your router which, with consumer-grade kit, presents an attack vector. You just don’t know how good the security is. And not just against external hacking (via which the attacker can get access to your entire internal network – see e.g. the recent RDP hack which is so serious that M$ even released a patch for winXP) but also accessing other stuff on the “dropbox” and not just the folder to which you sent somebody the link for.

Also you need client apps, for usable integration. These might be good, or crap, or anything in between. For example the dropbox integration for android is crap: there is a limit of something like 10 files for an upload in one go. You can get around that with yet another app… so now I use google drive on the phone. Dropbox works well with windows. But then so does google drive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

That’s 98 USD per month for me, too expensive.

For that amount you can use AWS S3 Glacier that has an even cheaper price tag:
“$0.0045 per GB / Month” which in your case will be 18 USD.

EKRK, Denmark

Been revisiting the need for a bit more “shareable server storage” (called “cloud” in the current century ) than the 2GB which free dropbox gives you.

Dropbox are still charging £10/month as the smallest step and they give you 2TB which is absolutely vast.

Onedrive is 5GB free and £1.99/month for 100GB.

So one pays a hefty premium for dropbox’s easy to use windoze “right-click to get URL” user interface. I wonder why nobody else does that? Maybe they have patented it.

FWIW Onedrive still works on win7-64 and probably earlier.

Administrator

£1.60 per 100GB on Google Drive: https://one.google.com/about/plans?hl=en_GB

EGTR

I use this nowadays:

https://www.jottacloud.com/en/home/

Unlimited space for 10 EUR per month. The only affordable option for the amount of data that I have.

Integrates with Windows just like Dropbox if not better.

Last Edited by Dimme at 22 Feb 16:33
ESME, ESMS

I host my own Dropbox solution (NextCloud) via a virtual server on Proxmox (on a Intel NUC), with storage at my NAS.
And online backup via IDrive.

Not ideal to just run Nextclould, but if you run a couple of other services it’s a good solution.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

I have installed jottacloud and the UI is impenetrable Not found a way to create a directory (folder) on the PC which is synced with the “cloud”. With dropbox you automatically get c:\dropbox, or d:\dropbox etc.

Otherwise, the 5GB for the free version is pretty good.

I don’t believe google drive integrates with the windows dir structure.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message