Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When a Go Around would do

AnthonyQ wrote:

Darwin Award candidate

The guy had an engine failure, turned back and got high. Poor skill maybe, but stupid? What would you suggest he should have done??

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

what_next wrote:

That’s what they write in the manual, I think it is valid for all high-wing Cessnas. The most often heard explanation is that the horizontal tailplane can lose effectiveness in a sideslip when the aircraft is in flaps-down attitude. Luckily the aircraft does not know about the manual. I tried it at altitude with several planes and found that I had enough elevator control.

That depends on the model. But in any case you don’t lose any tailplane effectiveness. What happens is that you can get some pitch oscillations which are not dangerous.

Later models of the C172 with an extended dorsal fin and limited flap travel doesn’t have that problem.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 15:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Later models of the C172 with an extended dorsal fin and limited flap travel doesn’t have that problem.

It’s a problem (or can be one) on the 40deg flap models with full flaps deployed. No problem at all slipping a Cessna otherwise.

Airborne_Again wrote:

The guy had an engine failure, turned back and got high. Poor skill maybe, but stupid? What would you suggest he should have done??

Yes, I should have clicked on Jan’s link before making comment…it was not obvious from the movie that there was an engine problem…mea culpa…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I was aware of the link, but that engine was developing power. He came in pretty fast. From the video I wondered the opposite that the throttle may have stuck, but his rise back into the air, APPEARS to have been after the application of power. More to it I would surmise. The other point that I would make is that if the engine was the problem, chop the mags at ten feet., and glide in.

It is a pretty bizarre incident, but then so are all incidents I suppose.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

To me it looks (from the windsock) as if he landed with a fairly strong tailwind. Agree, it looks as if the engine was developing power.

172driver wrote:

It’s a problem (or can be one) on the 40deg flap models with full flaps deployed. No problem at all slipping a Cessna otherwise.

Still our 172s with only 30 degrees flap has a placard saying “avoid slip with flaps extended”
In my book avoid is not forbidden so a slip with deployed flaps have never given me any problems.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Ive heard about this mishap. This aircraft had the engine failing after takeoff.
Prop was windmilling.

Given the circumstances I think the outcome is not so bad. They climbed out the aircraft unharmed.

Should they have gone for a field into the wind? Maybe, but how much time do you have if the engine quits at 800ft?

07 LDA at EHSE is shown as 752m, even with a 8 knot tailwind they must have come in very fast? or the engine was developing more power than they realised. Agree with Beech Baby securing the engine (mags, fuel, ICO) to reduce risk of fire would have been helpful.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message