Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When a Go Around would do

172driver wrote:

It’s a problem (or can be one) on the 40deg flap models with full flaps deployed. No problem at all slipping a Cessna otherwise.

That is exactly my experience. There is the manual excerpt of our 1962 C172b (short-legged slant-tail fastback with manual 40° flaps)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Noe wrote:

but I hear there are types that should not be sideslipped (I think some cessnas (172? With flaps down)).

Ahh! The old “Slips with flaps!” thing :-) I actually have the T-shirt (a picture of a C172 slipping with flaps, with “Slips with flaps!” in the vein of “Runs with scissors!”)

It’s not a prohibition, but the manual says (paraphrased) that slips with flaps should be avoided (not prohibited) and that an oscillation in pitch may occur if slips are used with full flaps. It only applies to some C172 models and not all of them (I don’t remember which ones off the top of my head, but the C172N was certainly one of them). The early straight tailed C172s for instance don’t have anything about slips with flaps in the manual.

EDIT I stand corrected at least for the 172B given the above :-)

Last Edited by alioth at 19 Sep 11:20
Andreas IOM

Yes, alioth, they changed quite a bit from the original long-legged straight-tail fastbacks to today’s short-legged flying easy chairs in a grow house… :-)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

172driver wrote:

To me it looks (from the windsock) as if he landed with a fairly strong tailwind.

Dumbell circuit after engine trouble… according to the link posted above. Could have been better managed, but they walked…

According to aviation-safety.net, the same aircraft (I mean the same airframe, not just the same type!) had a similar accident in 2013 with an emergency landing after a loss of engine power.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 26 Sep 14:20
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message