- lighter
- various charging cables

When flying in / over the remote parts out here in addition to the above:
- survival blankets (x2/POB)
- water in small bottles, 1 USG/POB/day
- energy bars
- backup iPad
- pulse/oxymeter
- portable O2 ‘boost’ bottles (may also carry on ‘coastal’ flights if expecting altitudes inxs of 10k, albeit rare around here)

In addition, I always have my iPhone that runs ForeFlight with me anyway.

Peter wrote:

Thanks, AF. I have had a long browse through these but can’t see one which would take A4 paper but not much more in terms of overall dimensions. Some of the reviews are amusing, detailing the guns and ammo people carry in them

You betcha.
Bummer they don’t have anything useful.
Yeah, it is definitely a guns & ammo bag… ;)

Several “flight bag” threads merged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, AF. I have had a long browse through these but can’t see one which would take A4 paper but not much more in terms of overall dimensions. Some of the reviews are amusing, detailing the guns and ammo people carry in them

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I did look around for a flight bag type of product, right size for A4 sheets and about 10cm thick, but found nothing other than some fancy leather hipster-style stuff

My kit is basically the same as everyone else’s but I use a Maxpedition military bag that has a large back pocket for a notebook computer (if I need it) a main central compartment for headset, tablets, etc. and a number of pockets on the front for smaller items.
Highly recommend these bags to you Peter, as they aren’t too heavy, but are absolutely bulletproof and seem to fit your search criteria (mine fits almost exactly what you’ve described).

My flightbag contains:

- Headset case, with a wallet inside containing licenses, medicals, etc. and cash (in case of emergency)
- 2 Tablets
- Logbook
- A5 Moleskin Notebook w/ pen (misc notes)
- 3 pens
- USB Stick
- Any pertinent charts, performance data, checklists, printouts, notable info, etc…
- Helicopter Kneeboard (perfect size, never interferes with yoke or stick) with 2 pens and scratchpaper
- Just ordered a small tablet kneeboard (for the tablet on the other knee…)
- Pulse Oximeter
- Headband light
- Flashlight
- USB Backup battery w/ cables
- USB charger
- Keys (on carabiner)
- Small Bottle of Water
- E6B Calculator finally removed it!

If I go on multi-day trips or fly someone else’s aircraft, I typically add my
- laptop (thin and light) w/ power adapter and
- Passport Travel Case (has Passport and travel-necessary documents/cards)

Everything fits perfectly in my flight bag and weighs about 3-5kg (depending on laptop presence).

Last Edited by AF at 21 Aug 21:40

Peter wrote:

I did look around for a flight bag type of product, right size for A4 sheets and about 10cm thick, but found nothing other than some fancy leather hipster-style stuff

I got myself one of these recently. The theming sort of fits aviation, I thought.

https://www.bag-to-life.com/taschen/damen/49/co-pilot-bag

(Just realized when I look at the link they categorize this as for “Damen”, i.e. “Ladies”. Well…)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

JasonC wrote:

Wow, what are you flying -a Gulfstream? Can you still load fuel within the W&B?

My bag weights no more than a couple of kg.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Maybe I should answer what is in my flight bag too, since I posted this question.

For when I’m flying locally, e.g. I’m not going to big airports that require me to pass security, I carry the following items:

Wow, what are you flying -a Gulfstream? Can you still load fuel within the W&B?

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Aug 21:40
EGTK Oxford

On trips away I normally carry a small backpack, with the pilot papers and the usual stuff for an overnight stay (even if it is a day trip only) plus a backup phone and, on longer trips, an x230-i7 laptop. No “flight bag” as such but I carry a plastic box with a tablet (two actually; I am currently testing a 2nd one in parallel) and printouts of enroute charts, plog and terminal charts.

Everything else lives permanently in the plane.

Administrator

Maybe I should answer what is in my flight bag too, since I posted this question.

For when I’m flying locally, e.g. I’m not going to big airports that require me to pass security, I carry the following items:

• VFR charts
  • VACs / ACs
  • Briefing pack (W&B, PLOG, NOTAMs, Weather, etc…)
  • Kneeboard, pen & paper
  • Wristwatch (I don’t like wearing one otherwise)
  • Sunglasses
  • Light torch
  • Headset
  • Portable VHF Radio
  • Protractor, ruler, CRP-5
  • Portable calculator
  • PCAS
  • PilotAware
  • 2 x iPad Mini 2
  • Yoke RAM mount
  • 2 x Garmin VIRB
  • Camera mounts
  • Loads of AA batteries
  • USB Power Bank
  • 12V to USB charger
  • Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
  • Barf bags
  • Used to have an electrical CO detector but I broke it
  • Electrical tape
  • Flat & Phillips screwdrivers
  • Magnesium firesteel
  • Foldable knife
  • Pilot paperwork (Logbook, licence, medical, etc…)
  • Aircraft paperwork (insurance, CoA, etc…)

And when applicable if I’m flying to a remote airport:

• Emergency pack
  • Life jackets
  • Hi-viz jackets
  • Tiedowns
  • Chokes
  • Sunscreen (for the windshield)

Now if that remote airport has security and I need to pass through it to get back to the aircraft, I take one extra bag that I take with me out of the aircraft and in there I put stuff like pilot paperwork, aircraft paperwork, stuff required for planning of the next flight, and anything else I might need off-airport.

ESME, ESMS
85 Posts
Sign in to add your message