Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your highest ever altitude?

I was not PIC actually

If I had to due to weather I would climb to FL240 without hesitation. The limit FL200 is in chapter 2 so it is binding but I know very well how it got there because the person who did the flight testing actually wrote a book about it. It’s purely artificial and was added after the flight testing. I have a very hard time respecting rules that I know to not make sense

Can a turbocharger at heights overtighten

It can over rev. If it will do it depends on the condition of the turbine and the bearings. The piston Malibu has got a formula in the manual which restricts the amount of MP one is supposed to use at certain altitudes. Our old engine was not able to exceed those numbers anyway but the new overhauled engine would do it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

achimha wrote:

The limit FL200 is in chapter 2 so it is binding but I know very well how it got there because the person who did the flight testing actually wrote a book about it. It’s purely artificial and was added after the flight testing.

Not related to flutter, then?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No, the TR182 was developed and flight tested for FL240. Later product management put in FL200 because the price difference between the TR182 and the T210 was quite large and they feared it would eat into T210 sales. It’s good to know even though I would not exceed FL200 unless it is the safest option in a difficult situation. I regularly fly at FL200 and it’s not a problem to maintain 90% SpO2 with the Mountain High and a nose cannula.

The flutter issue would in any case be related to the fact that the TAS gain is higher at higher altitudes, and if Vne is flutter-limited it is TAS-limited (not IAS-limited), but the Vne mark on the ASI (which indicates IAS) is positioned using a back-calculation from TAS to IAS, which breaks if you exceed the TAS gain assumed in the calculation.

And the only ways to exceed the TAS gain are

• fly higher
  • fly at a very nonstandard temperature

In reality, I don’t think there is any civilian piston aircraft which can get anywhere near Vne under any conditions whatsoever except in an aggressive descent. So IMHO this will never be an issue in level flight. But it could be if e.g. you took your PA46 to FL350 and then did a -10,000fpm descent because the door seal has failed. This is one impressive thing about the TBM which can actually do that sort of stuff, and I was in one during a factory flight where this was done. The TAS was something like 450kt.

It is also an issue on some turbine conversions where the HP has doubled. Usually dealt with by pulling the Vmo warning CB

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EDLE

Europa rulez!

Indeed, Pavel! As you can see, more would have been easily achievable, although – mind you it’s a “heavy and draggy” Trigear. Your Mono has the potential to scatch at RVSM altitude

EDLE

That’s amazing!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EDLE
Sign in to add your message