Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your most annoying trip cancellation?

The most annoying – by far! – came when a mag failed at runup in a C210. The big problem, however, wasn’t that, it was the location: Birdsville, in central Australia. The day before the races (the Aussies on here will know what that means). Had to break off a tour of Australia and fly back to the coast on CAT at massive expense……

Last Edited by 172driver at 14 Aug 15:26

once i cancelled the trip from the holding point of the RWY due to issues with one of magneto during the routine ground check. that was pretty hard

Advisor
UKKK

Ibra wrote:

Have you started/fly that engine the weeks before without any problems?

The first time I flew that plane was the day prior to the flight (to move it closer to London and to do a test) and it performed flawlessly. I’m led to believe it didn’t have much of an history.

That sucks, especially coming out of a very reliable twin aircraft !

Have you started/fly that engine the weeks before without any problems?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not only carried but actually ended up needing it, at Eureka if I’m not mistaken.

That is such bad luck, Noe. Very sorry to hear. Bloody frustrating!

Starter motors are too heavy to be carrying as spares the whole time, too, although I know someone who did carry one on a trip way up north.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Haven’t had luck for my 2 big trips this year, and specifically with right engines of da42s:
First in Feb ( trip to Svalbard), with a near total losss of power (at night over the North Sea)
Today was supposed to be the consolation trip, in a different plane, to Iceland then Greenland, and it was over within 2s of commencing to start the right engine: the propellers stopped turning and a typical smell of fried electric motor started coming out of the right engine.
We were tight on time so even if the starter engine gets replaced tomorrow, it will be too late.

If you intend to park on the grass, no request via myhandling.com is necessary. However I agree with Peter, the grass is in poor condition, not cut very often. I’ve have spats (SR22) and it requires full power to get off the grass, not great just after start up. Therefore if you want handling and be able to park on TANGO apron, myhandlong.com is the only way.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Peter wrote:

When did myhandling become mandatory at LFMD? It wasn’t for me in Sep 2017, despite some stuff on the website saying that.

It wasn’t on July 20th when I was there last. I parked the Comanche on the grass which was fine, though I have to say they don’t spend much time on mowing the grass correctly and I have witnessed a DR400 clip it’s flaps there a few years ago.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

When did myhandling become mandatory at LFMD? It wasn’t for me in Sep 2017, despite some stuff on the website saying that.

I would not park the TB20 on grass there. It was in poor condition; the risk is not worth the ~€60 saving.

What other airports in that area are usable, for a UK-Croatia flight which goes around the Alps? We did this before I think; Montpelier? All in the AIP no doubt

Regarding Scottish midges, there is a website for midges

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message