Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying my first plane

I recommend reading some of the links below under “Threads possibly related to this one”.

If I was to make just one point I would strongly recommend a novice to the rather steep “aircraft ownership” learning curve to not buy some old wreck. It is just too hard to do that. A used GA plane is not a used BMW or whatever, which you could just dump at a dealer and let them sort it out. Well, you can dump a plane at a maintenance facility but the chance of them sorting it out is probably less than 50%, and a good number of new owners have abandoned their newly acquired planes at the company (basically because the company found a can of worms and refused to sign it off as airworthy). It is better to buy something higher up in quality.

An Arrow? Not sure – they represent a lowest cost retractable entry point and thus many of them are not far short of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BeechBaby wrote:

Yes but does that not limit, or restrict your choice of maintenance provider?

There is no reason to unless the shop doesn’t want to deal with your aircraft on principle.

Part-M is clear that the responsibility in this case rests with the owner, not with the maintenance provider or CAMO. Indeed, “The content of the declared (by the owner) maintenance programme cannot be initially challenged either by the competent authority, the contracted CAMO, or the contracted maintenance organisation.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

BeechBaby wrote:

Yes but does that not limit, or restrict your choice of maintenance provider?

Nope.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Nope.

Well next time I am near any of them I will let them know. Refreshing.

Peter wrote:

If I was to make just one point I would strongly recommend a novice to the rather steep “aircraft ownership” learning curve to not buy some old wreck. It is just too hard to do that.

Rather steep being almost vertical. How much is that mag check? £500.00. There is your invoice £7500.00. Why the difference sir? Three cylinders replaced. Should you have told me? Nope, a/c grounded as unairworthy unless I had fixed it. Now piss off…….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Could I suggest that if you are looking to move into aeroplane ownership then the way to start is to join a group.
A long established group, operating a good, well equipped, well maintained plane is the place to start.
Much more ‘bang for your buck’ and a protected learning environment.
Don’t start with your own ‘banger’ – you’ll regret it.

Biggin Hill EGKB, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I recommend reading some of the links below under “Threads possibly related to this one”.

I read those threads and your other precautions for getting a hangar queen but I think – as far as I have seen – this applies rarely to airframes registered in Switzerland and maintenance seems to be quite well. As having understood from other threads that might be a problem in the UK but I don’t fear it is that much the case here.

DavidH wrote:

Could I suggest that if you are looking to move into aeroplane ownership then the way to start is to join a group.

I am in a club or somewhat bigger group which operates 4 planes but we also have a flight school and thus I know quite well how that does. But availability is my big concern as my wife and me like to travel on short notice (even more when flying VFR) and reserving the plane on thursday afternoon when the meteo is said to be perfect for the weekend is almost impossible as for sure each one of the planes is by then booked for a scenic flight for one hour on saturday afternoon and the others on sunday morning.

Last Edited by Neal at 13 Mar 20:25
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

The price implies the engine is run out for commercial reasons (more than twelve years since overhaul?), and if the airframe is in good condition the price is fairish but might still be subject to a lower offer.

I would not spend a ton of money on an HSI, latest WAAS GTN etc on this airframe. A GNC255 provides an updated NAV/COM and second hand LNAV IFR GPS provides PBN/B2 capability for around €6k. I would overhaul the engine which implies another €24k when all is said and done, and an interior updating can be relatively modest at around €5k. Do your CBIR last ten hours in an ATO aircraft.

This is a light IFR aircraft, emphasis on light. All you need is the ability to file airways to fly on top in reasonably benign weather.

As @DavidH says, form a small group around it – the Archer II is an ideal group aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Switzerland and maintenance seems to be quite well.

A bit optimistic your view on swiss maintenance.
Try this one
https://www2.sust.admin.ch/pdfs/AV-berichte//2160_d.pdf

local copy

Contrary to what others are saying I think you will have a lot of fun with your own airplane. A group or, even worse, a club, cannot provide the same level and even feeling of freedom.

You are smart enough to educate yourself at EuroGA on aircraft ownership so I am sure you will manage it.

I have to agree with others that this is no car ownership: aircraft ownership is way more involved, unpredictable and cash- and energy- depleting, especially in the EASA environment…but a single evening flight across the Alps in good weather to Italy will give you back all the lost energy (if not the cash).

As a first airplane, I do join the advise of others not to get into a project: you seem to be in this for the flying, not for the project management side of it…so go for an airplane that meets your needs. Even then, you will still want to do a mod or two, but I would aim to minimize that. Do not underestimate the complexity of aircraft modification projects in the EASA environment where airworthiness is as fragile as it gets. Things are getting better, but why go there if you can find in the market what you want for less?

If aiming to travel IFR, I also suggest you get into a faster airplane. Speed extends your mileage, and the places you can go to extend with the square of mileage!

PS: Regardless of the airplane, the Switzerland-Mallorca direct mission does not work due to customs/immigration unavailable at LESB: you are going to have to do an intermediate stop anyway.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Neal, it sounds like you’re on the right track. In any country you can buy perfectly decent planes (and less than decent planes) for reasonable prices, and I’d encourage you. I think if you look at those with horror stories buying planes they usually fall into one or more of the following categories: (1) Already spending all their income and dreaming (2) technically clueless, and/or no knowledgeable friends to help, and expecting a new car style ownership experience versus a 50 year classic car experience and/or (3) needing to hang around the airport a lot more to figure out who knows the scene, the deals, the liars… and latch onto them. Friends are very valuable, somebody has to pay retail, and its usually those without friends

I think if you work on aligning yourself and your expectations with those items, you’ll do OK with sole aircraft ownership. Also, don’t buy more than you need, a little but less is sometimes more if its simplifies ownership. And take your time before you commit.

Sign in to add your message