Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Safe Return / Garmin emergency autoland

Just told my wife about this, she liked the idea very much. This system may ultimately benefit from the same “push factors” as CAPS…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

That’s fantastic! I wonder if it just tells ATC what it does or can it even listen and react to ATC’s instructions?

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

I think this might reassure passengers even more than the CAPS (with the CAPS they are usually a bit skeptical of it landing too hard, or in a bad place, even if so far statistics dispute that), although the implementation is so much more complicated (and has more failure modes)

Answering “How would I land this” at FL100 on an IFR flight is not really easy, unless you are a genius at explaining things (I certainly ain’t!) and the other person is able to interiorise all the concepts you’ll talk about.

Last Edited by Noe at 30 Oct 14:09

I always thought that doing a pinch hitter or right seat forward course is a great thing to do with regular right seat pax. Here nobody offers them unfortunately, but apart from giving the pax a feeling of security, it also makes flying more interesting for them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Here nobody offers them unfortunately, but apart from giving the pax a feeling of security, it also makes flying more interesting for them.

Yes, but that doesn’t work for the occasional passenger (which make up a large % of my passengers)

Great stuff. I heard rumors about it some time ago, but didn’t know it was Garmin rather than Cirrus. That’s even better.

LPFR, Poland

The Piper M600 is going to be the first to be certified (well according to Piper!). This is really impressive, not just the technology (not all of it already exists for UAV, the choice of runway depending on conditions and the automated communication with ATC for example) but also the customer experience: having the screens reassure the passengers and tell them exactly what’s happening is key to making this a reassuring safety feature.

Congrats to Garmin and the manufacturers. A real breakthrough.

EGTF, LFTF

It is quite an amazing technology. The fact they can get it to work on a non-FADEC M600 should mean many other types are possible including pistons.

EGTK Oxford

Does this also make calls to ATC?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes I believe it makes automated transmissions

Now retired from forums best wishes
Sign in to add your message