Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why the N35 and P35 might be a sweet spot amongst Bonanzas

see my post on the other thread (US agent). I operate now my 66 for almost 7 years and absolutely love flying it. I still can go to 9gph at 20.5 MF and 2300 RPM and zoom by 172 at +120 Kts @3000Ft :-)

agree with NCYankee

There is no real difference in maintenance between the two engines. The airframes are essentially identical. If you use a lower power setting on the IO520, you get the same performance and fuel burn. The difference is mainly in the extra power when you wish to use it and the extra useful load. I consider the V tail to be a good three adult person aircraft.

Last Edited by Vref at 01 Dec 12:52
EBST

The S and V series are very sought after, but I don’t need the extra useful load and quite keen on the typical 1950 lbs EW of the earlier types.

The K and M trade around $70k while the V onwards tend to be north of $100k.

Lots of advantages to the later series: modern panel higher gear and flap speeds more useful load better interior and ventilation!

Perhaps because Patty Wagstaff owns and flies a K35:)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I quite like this video of a V35 mixing it with the tailwheel crowd on a dirt strip. Flown by the numbers they are a credible short field, albeit smooth good condition, performer. It does require correct technique.

Nice video, for occasional use it seems yes, can you base a V35 over there maybe not?
I would hesitate te take the M20J in that dirt, but should be fine with 20kts headwinds

Taxiing is the elephant in the room

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Dec 12:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@lbra there is a youtube personality who operates a M20C in the back country. The rubber puck landing gear is quite tough, although propeller clearance less. The V35 landing gear is used on the Baron and Duke, although the wheels/tyres are bigger on the twins. OTOH you can fit Baron wheels to the Bonanza. Also the fuel tanks are bladder type on the Bonanza, a consideration for off tarmac operations. Wet wing fuel tanks being less tolerant of firm landings on dirt strip conditions.

RobertL18C wrote:

there is a youtube personality who operates a M20C in the back country. The rubber puck landing gear is quite tough, although propeller clearance less. The V35 landing gear is used on the Baron and Duke, although the wheels/tyres are bigger on the twins. OTOH you can fit Baron wheels to the Bonanza.

Yes I saw the channel, M20C is a real back country but one has to budget for those fuel tanks in 5 years, hitting unknown strips is still a real challenge !

In Mooney M20J, I did stick it once or twice in some places but only those I know already (Damyns Hall, Old Warden, Oaksey Pk, Sandown but she felt very surprised in Clacton bouncing and going around once)

In the other hand, those V35 B**ches looks 95% dry grass compliant and 100% proper vintage, maybe only missing tailwheel and bush wheels !

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Dec 14:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

maybe only missing tailwheel and bush wheels !

@lbra The Staggerwing and Beech 18 were honest tail draggers, and even the Bonanza was going to be tailwheel until marketing took over.

I get my annual done at a grass strip with obstacles. It is 2400 feet long, about 730 meters.

KUZA, United States

That “D35” mentioned upthread is a very nice example of an unmolested type. The only thing I noticed is the step hanging down in flight. It should have a cable attached to the nose gear to retract it in flight. They only became fixed in 1957, I believe.

The Bonanza is very capable on unimproved strips. The gear is very robust for the aircraft weight.

KEAT, United States

@boscomantico good example you posted I think it got snapped up very quickly.

This 1962 P35 with 100 usg tip tanks has been doing the rounds.

https://flybluehorizons.com/

On tip tanks they add some maintenance and flight management complexity, the modified aircraft is no longer in the utility category (arguably not a major factor unless you are planning commercial manoeuvre training exercises), but they do give some added useful load and flexibility. My preference is unmodified. The preferred Osborne 20 usg tip tanks were an option from Beechcraft, and give you in theory a 1200 nm range with reserves. Not quite enough for St John’s to Santa Maria :)

Sign in to add your message