Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why the N35 and P35 might be a sweet spot amongst Bonanzas

RobertL18C wrote:

his gentleman has done a very nice job of updating a P35, although it is now outside my budget.

Yep, Barry’s a friend and it is a great plane. He’s restored and built almost more planes than I can count, this is the latest of many. He does it as a life-style or hobby, spending by my observation a lot of hours in his hangar doing it. Most of his work on this one has been the panel, autopilot etc. It was a nice plane when he got it.

I believe Photo #2 was taken at Hotel Serenidad in Mulege, Mexico. On that trip, after crossing the border minus full tanks, he was informed that his customs stop (San Felipe) was out of 100LL. No problem, partial fuel was enough to reach Loreto. Then with tanks filled, back-track to Mulege (which also has no avgas) and return to the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Mar 21:31

@Silvaire a 470-N P35, Barry’s has the IO550, with D’Shannon tip tanks has 1500 nm range, possibly further using a constant angle of attack Carson speed as fuel burned off. There are a few earthrounders P35 s, some fitted with so called Dolly Parton 50 usg aside tip tanks.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Postscript: after several months researching and slowly chasing a rising market I decided getting a more capable tourer might not make sense in an age where international GA flights remain uncertain.

The market does seem to be calming down. There was a time where a good example might get snapped up in a day, and while occasionally a prime example is snapped up (a recent F33A was bought on the spot for around 20% below market), the examples seeking fair value are starting to sit.

While I spent most of my time, with @NCYankee’s expert input, researching the BE35 V-tail, in the end I concluded if you do not have a US style own hangar, the risk of hangar rash on the unobtanium rudder-vators was too high. Second hand RVs are sold at $10k a piece! and they come up rarely.

The E33A and early F33A (up to around 1977) seem to not suffer from the unusable usable load syndrome from aft CG as fuel is burned. One E33A barn find I came across even had an honest to goodness 1250 lbs useful load that could be used.

In conclusion the Warrior is receiving some TLC, corrosion proofing, zinc chromate, interior upgrade and getting a resolver for the KLN94.At the end of the day if the practical ’bubble for the UK is likely to be the UK with possibly Ireland, the Warrior is very practical.

Regarding the comments here about the BE35, folks might be interested in the CofG profile for sample loadings; mine has Osborne tip tanks (20 gal each) and 80 gal mains. With the tips the MAUW is 3600 lbs.

The first example is 2 × 180 lbs occupants, 90 lbs of baggage and 110 gallons of fuel. You can see that the issue is forward CofG rather than what is commonly talked about, aft CofG problems.

The second is 4 × 180 lbs occupants and 80 gallons with minor baggage. I have rarely flown with 4 occupants.

RobertL18C, if you do come to Ireland let me know, I would be interested to hear about your Bonanza researches.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

@Bluebeard have friends and family in Dublin and I understand around June GA between Ireland and England might become a bit easier.

Also hope to visit @WF’s base in Birr and see the observatory.

Am still keeping up a spreadsheet on Bonanzas coming to market. There is less offer arriving, and what is being offered has been marked up around 10% plus since the winter.

I still think the type is an incredible quality design never to be replicated in GA, unless you count the Mil Spec SF260

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 28 Apr 18:39

That’s good – bring the spreadsheet with you!
For part of June I hope to be in Spain, my seasonal migration to LEAX.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Mine with TKS fluid/ Tip tanks and 3600 max TW sample based on three adults plus bagage for 600Nm trip…still in limits (40lbs should sit btw copilot seat and rear seat giving better forward CG) with plenty of reserve fuel…
With Bonanza app for android which is published on BT.
I rarely fly with four…maybe on a local flight. I think the V35 is a three seat adult long range, four is difficult unless with two kids or light human specimens.. An A36 could do that more easily

Empty weight: 2328
Empty arm: 80.6
Seat configuration: (F/A/R:forward/aft/right facing, X:Removed/missing)
F F
F F
X X

Fuel: 90 gal.
Fuel used: 48 gal.
Seat 1L: 165 lbs.
Seat 1R: 165 lbs.
Front floor baggage: 0 lbs.
Seat 2L: 140 lbs.
Seat 2R: 40 lbs.
Rear floor baggage: 30 lbs.
Rear baggage: 0 lbs.

Takeoff weight: 3,452 lbs. (Heavy)
Takeoff CG: 84 in. (Aft)
Landing weight: 3,175 lbs. (Moderate)
Landing CG: 84 in. (Aft)
Zero fuel weight: 2,924 lbs. (Moderate)
Zero fuel CG: 85 in. (Aft)

Departure airport: LHKV
Departure airport altitude: 499 ft. ft.
Departure weather: 160V230@15 kt., 18 C
Departure runway: 17L (620 m.)
Takeoff ground roll: 324 m.
Takeoff 50 ft. obstacle clearance distance: 555 m.
Vr: 72 kias.
Stall IAS, clean: 65 kias.

Cruise altitude: 9,000 ft.
Fuel on board: 6:54 h:m
Range with reserve: 1,001 nm.
Route distance: 582 nm.
Estimated time enroute: 3:34 h:m
Fuel to destination: 48 gal.
Fuel at destination: 42 gal.

Destination airport: EBST
Destination airport altitude: 246 ft. ft.
Destination weather: 280@12 kt., 7 C
Destination runway: 24 (1,096 m.)
Landing ground roll: 232 m.
Landing 50 ft. obstacle clearance distance: 385 m.
Stall IAS, landing flaps: 51 kias.
1.3 stall IAS, landing flaps: 67 kias.

another example slight difference in weight
W_B_pdf

Last Edited by Vref at 29 Apr 11:25
EBST

I also finally ‘scratched the itch’ and flew a very nice M35. Solid, imposing aircraft with a comfortable bimbling cruise of 155 KTAS. Explored the V-tail neutral/negative stability spiral diversion, and it is quite unique as there is in fact a phugoid where the aircraft goes to a nose high after a spiral diversion, but then negative stability increases and the subsequent spiral dive is more pronounced.

It may be a question of expectations, but roll rate and control harmony was good but not so great as Bonanza aficionados might have you think. Not a SIAI Marchetti F.260, but perfectly respectable.

STOL and slow speed handling was very good, and this is probably the Bonanza’s unique quality: a 170KTAS type that can land in quite short and unimproved fields. Stall characteristics were quite benign and I couldn’t provoke a wing drop if flying with the ball centred.

A nice solid P model has been posted on planecheck today: https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=53112

If going for a post 1956, but pre-S model, I would go for a P. The improved fuel system is really worth a lot, even for an owner pilot.

Indeed, Bonanzas handle well, but some people’s ravels are a little bit exaggerated.

Also, I really don‘t like the tail wag, which is stongest on V tail Bonanzas. I recently did a cross-country with the K35 in windy/gusty weather, and it was unpleasant, even in the front seat.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Apr 13:50
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message