Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

I had the feeling that the TBM construction is MUCH more complicated than the typical SEP, but I am guessing drom what I saw (if anybody wants it i could post a complete photo essay of the factory) Only the main spar is a very impressive part. The SR22 is completely primitive compared to that, like a big Revell kit …

Actually TBM has the problem at the moment that many Americans too think it’s too expensive now and that DAHER is making too much profit on it … I read that a couple of times.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Nov 19:53

davidfabry wrote:

I would want to wait until I see confirmed data from a fully certified product and perhaps even flying a delivered aircraft before making a judgment.

Well, very, very few aircraft have ever exceeded expectations and proven to be less expensive than advertised. So there sure is a basis of comparison prior certification.

Of course, if you would think that the aircraft never will be certified, then all comparison would be eyewash. But Cirrus has it’s faithful fan base. I think they will build at least some production aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think they will build hundreds. Only to their very loyal SR22 customer base in USA they can probably sell 500 …

Flyer59 wrote:

Actually TBM has the problem at the moment that many Americans too think it’s too expensive now and that DAHER is making too much profit on it … I read that a couple of times.

It may be expensive for Americans, but for Europe it’s even more so. When I was visiting them in 2014, USD/PLN was 3.0, today it’s 4.0. EUR/USD is similar. That’s a serious price increase and they’re a French company. I emailed them later, asking if they will adjust their pricing because of stronger dollar. Answer was no.

LPFR, Poland

Is the Extra 330SC turbocharged?

If not, it won’t do 200kt TAS, at any altitude. The max TAS is reached at sea level, unless you have a turbo.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

Only to their very loyal SR22 customer base in USA they can probably sell 500 …

I don’t believe it, but I wish them luck that you have spoken the truth :-)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

loco wrote:

It may be short on range and payload, but at half the price of a TBM, it’s a great offer.

At the risk of shocking a few, I have a different perspective on this. There is a significant price difference between the TBM and the Cirrus Jet (I was going to write $2M but it will be less and I just don’t know exactly what it will be but let’s say at least $1.5M). That does not mean you are saving this amount when buying a Cirrus. It just means you have to finance more to start but the real question when looking at total cost of ownership will be to include operating cost, depreciation AND product satisfaction.

I believe that if you are looking at allocating $2M for a toy, you might as well be fully satisfied. Buy a TBM 850 for that amount and get more performance TODAY on a proven model or allocate more to start to get even more performance and ZERO maintenance with what you know is a liquid asset.

I am sure Cirrus will build and sell the Jet, I have faith in the company but I still question the performance and I think the perspective on price is incomplete.

To give you another example, I flew a TBM 700 yesterday while a friend of mine flew his Jetprop. We both went from Antwerp to Straubing. I flew 1h10 and he flew 1h25. He can claim a lower hourly rate but when looking at mission cost rather than hourly rate, the gap was marginal and we can all agree sitting on the TBM is better than being on the Jetprop. I was tricked myself at first when renting his Jetprop and found out it was not as economical as I thought: Speed is good!

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

The two turbofans should cost more than double of the PT6 turbine.

Two turbofans?

EGTK Oxford

@davidfabry no need to convince me. TBM is my dream machine. Will never buy any kind of Cirrus (or Porsche). Personal preference.

LPFR, Poland

JasonC wrote:

Two turbofans?

Sorry, I had a mental picture of a Mustang. One bird ingestor only Still I doubt Cirrus can produce the plane at the projected cost.

Sign in to add your message