Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slow we go! (Morane-Saulnier "Rallye", MS880B)

Antonio wrote:

about 7.1 GPH on an O-200 engine

It is trade off for some extra cooling of engine. The weather in Spain
was already one of (un)famous hot waves, last year.

Usually our MS880B (after that ferry) using on average 4.3 to 6 GPH,
in total within a year on bit less than 60 h.
The plane now have recent new ARC and insurance.
The Axle SB150rev4 done too. ;)

Croatia

My MS 892 150 cv consumption is about 33 l/hour and speed 90 kts.I renewed it completely now.I heard there was a Rallye fly inn in Lourdes this fall,but no more news.

LFDU, Belgium

The main thing that needed checking on the Rallyes we used to have was the extruded aluminium spar. They were known to suffer corrosion from within. We had several different versions from the 100hp MS880 up to the more powerful (I forget the nomclemanture) or glider towing. Each had a different prop. The smaller 100hp continental cruised at 90kts on 24 litres p/h and we paid the club €72 ph. This was 2008/09
It was one of our initial PPL training aircraft before moving on to a Robin 360 for navigation training..
Although not quick, (the Cessna 150 did 100kts on 19lph (108ch lycoming) and was cheaper ph at around €60) most members and club presidents preferred the Rallye. Perhaps because ot was French in France,had a stick, could be used for limited aerobatics I don’t know.
For me the thing that always impressed
about all Rallyes AFAIK is their great shortfield performance. I remember a Socata pilot demonstrating how to land one on a patch somewhere around 30 to 50metres. Some reckoned it was nearer 25 metres. But our measuring method wasn’t precise.
Again AFAIK the Rallye is the only nosewheel (tricycle) aircraft which was regularly used for landing on altiports and.with skis on glaciers.
Today they are one of the cheapest certified aircraft you can buy on the pre owned market. Get a good one and it will serve you well for a long long time of looked after and give a great deal of pleasure, which can not be said for many modern aircraft. It will go places, but not quickly. Some, I understand, are equipped for old style IR flying. Rallyes are versatile machines and you sometimes are surprised what different versions are capable of.

France

That one is on sell in LFNA, gorgeous and probably a climb monster, but a bit expensive. MPG must be awful :P.

LFMD, France

I confirm the corrosion problem.I had it and repaired it.It is expensive,but now the airplane is ok for …20 years.Another thing to look after are the slats,which are really important on that airplane.

LFDU, Belgium

For your info
There is a Morane fly inn organized by morane aeroclub in Tarbes (Lourdes) september 22 th and 23 th.

LFDU, Belgium
  • reply error

one pic instead ;)

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 15 Jun 09:37
Croatia

reply error

??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

??
My bad, by mistake
started the explanation, why that is not possible or so rare on extreme level because of poor maintenance.
Peter wrote:

What happens if you get asymmetric deployment?
Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 15 Jun 14:22
Croatia
69 Posts
Sign in to add your message