Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slow we go! (Morane-Saulnier "Rallye", MS880B)

Obviously my comments will prove I know nothing about aircraft design or anything else aviation related. But they seem alot of hassle to make and alot of cost to maintain. But are those leading edge slats really needed. Is an extra 50 meters take if distance or a 4 knot higher knot stall speed really going to make a big difference.

I’ve always thought they are an utter waste of time on a tiger moth too. An aircraft that’s so nice to fly otherwise – not.

@Bathman, what the automatic slats provide is not just shorter takeoff and lower stall speed, it’s a considerably more benign and spin-resistant stall behaviour, you can go all the way into the back side of the power curve. It isn’t for nothing that Rallye goes by the nickname of TIn Parachute – in the even of engine failure, you can keep the stick pulled all the way back, and it will sink at a reasonable rate to walk away safely once you get on the ground.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The DH82 Tiger Moth has automatic slats, which can be locked to prevent operation.
The Jodel DR1050 has an O200 engine. Max AUW 750kg. Our one was weighed at 443.6 kg, with spats, 410.6 without. It cruises at 115kts IAS.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

boscomantico nice write up – if I recall they were also approved for some mild aerobatics? The top version had a Continental-470 and CS propeller? May have managed 125 KTAS?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The biggest engine was an O540 and some of them were aerobatic, but not all of them. You need to reference the poh for that.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Peter wrote:

Peter 08-May-18 12:26 #10
What happens if you get asymmetric deployment

I had this happen onthe Antonov 2. Let’s say it gets interesting. Full aileron and nose down to get speed so they retract.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Took advantage of the great, warm autumn weather here in Germany and took the Morane up once again for lunch at Bad Duerkheim (EDRF). Some great autumn colours, too.

At Bad Duerkeim, some people even ate and drank outside. It was 18 degrees.

The Morane is really perfect for low-level flightseeing. Here we are over the vineyards of the Pfalz, just north of Bad Duerkheim.

Nevertheless, then we decided – because we can – to jinx it up to 5000 feet. Took about 15 minutes, so not all that bad…

and then descended straight back down, taking a few more nice photos, before landing back at Mainz.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Nov 18:31
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Beautiful pictures, it sure is nice up there in the Fall!

EHTE, Netherlands

It‘s summertime again, so I am enjoying low and slow flying in the 100hp Rallye..a lovable little aircraft that offers such good visibility…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thumbs up! I believe they are also approved for gentle aerobatics

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message