Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slow we go! (Morane-Saulnier "Rallye", MS880B)

The pilot gets some hairy moments ! Comparable to asymmetric flap positions. That is why I pointed to careful maintenance to keep operation smooth. Vic
vic
EDME

Peter wrote:

What happens if you get asymmetric deployment?

I checked with a friend who owns a MS.892A Rallye. He says there is a mechanical linkage that prevents asymmetric deployment.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
So that is definitely carefully designed. Seems there are some aircraft without linkage to avoid asymmetric flap deflection ??? Vic
vic
EDME

vic wrote:

Seems there are some aircraft without linkage to avoid asymmetric flap deflection

Yes, typically when the flaps are hydraulically actuated. In this case, a check for symmetric flap deployment would appear on relevant checklists.
Also, you cannot have such a linkage on aircraft with flaperons instead of separate flaps and ailerons, but there it would be a non-event anyway.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 08 May 14:00
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Airborne_Again wrote:

The extend by spring-loading and retract by air pressure.

No springs. They extend by peak suction on the nose. Same principle as Cessnas reed horn.

Peter wrote:

What happens if you get asymmetric deployment?

If the mechanical link breaks, they should deploy simultaneously in symmetric flight. So keep the ball centered and land.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

However, one of the slats getting stuck could be the cause of the link breaking

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not sure I’d want the complication of movable slats on a plane I own, but OTOH I once felt the same way about flaps… The MS is a cool plane to me regardless, and despite its glider tug image.

Fixed slots as per Stinson 108 and Culver Cadet have no moving parts, perhaps a reasonable compromise if you want to avoid moving parts.

Re airspeed calibration, continental Europeans would prefer km/hr and once had it, Americans and some others prefer mph and once had it… Both are now stuck with knots which make no intuitive sense to anybody and have no utility in the age of GPS. Typical aviation practice

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 May 14:53

Rallye are kind of a legend in France. There are not much in clubs now but to our older members, they are a myth. Many learned on them.
They were a piece of art of French engineering, supposed to compete with Cessna. The slats and all its characteristics were meant to make the safest trainer.

I flew in one once. In cruise, the landscape seems frozen. The next town in front of you seems 1 hour away. I don’t imagine what it is when you face a headwind.
But you take off and land anyhere. Maybe one could be converted into a Alaskan bush plane with tundra tires
Every airplane is a compromise !

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Maybe one could be converted into a Alaskan bush plane with tundra tires

Or maybe this

My first type was a S893, S894 and later the Polish Koliber 160.

I enjoyed flying the Rally, but I lost a map when my FI wanted to show me that the plane can be flown with canopy open.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message