Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slow we go! (Morane-Saulnier "Rallye", MS880B)

All using Mogas

I didn‘t know. Who developed the STC and with which agency?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

WilliamF wrote:

Very interested in that book

I’m only a couple of chapters in, but it’s written clearly and it seems to explain the casse-tête of the various types. I had trouble finding the book; the only place with them in stock is boutique.aero, but their international shipping is a bit high. Other websites order it from the publisher, who have sold out; it’s rumoured there might be a reprint at some point. I suppose the moral of the story is buy these self-published books as soon as they come out.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

A little bit less slow we go now… The 100hp Morane is being sold, but now a 180hp one on the fleet!

A solid 100KAS. Make that 105KTAS.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Nov 16:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Have fun with it.I am a Rallye fan and have read several times that book .I have still my MS 892 well equipped and is rated night flight since i added a G 5 instrument.
Did somebody flown with canopy open ?
I wish you nice flights.

LFDU, Belgium

Lockdown fatigue got the better of me and I wanted to source the Rallye book by Roger Gaborieau. I sent him a mail and I got a quick and polite response. The book is sold out, but reprint is due soon. He can sell you a PDF copy for €15 by WeTransfer which I bought today. I highly recommend it. Send him an email if you would like to read a copy.

http://www.aviation-legere.fr/nous-contacter/

Nice to see our little Koliber made the grade!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I’m looking for a Rallye MS880B specifically (Not 100S, 100ST etc) that I could restore. Doesn’t have to be airworthy but dry stored would be preferable, we could trailer it home. Ideally something late 60’s or very early 70s. Could even be one with bad wings/engine or something, just looking for it to be complete and have logbooks.

If you know of something that’s not on planecheck etc please drop us a PM

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

From here

That is a beautiful travelling account ferrying an MS 880 Spain to Croatia linked again here

One of the aspects I fail to fully comprehend or perhaps accept is the reality of fuel consumption on such an engine/airframe combination. While it is clearly not a travelling machine, in this trip it used a total of 122USG in about 17.1 FH’s or about 7.1 GPH on an O-200 engine. Is that typical? Of course at an average 73KTS GS it gives an appalling NMPG figure akin to much heavier and faster aircraft with three times the hp. From the article I infer about 80KTS avg TAS so perhaps 5-6KTS avg headwind. Even then the NPMG is still very low. Maybe @9H_LDSH can elaborate.

Or maybe NMPG is simply not a figure one would typically measure on this kind of airplane unless embarking on such kind of an adventure?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

As to my experience with the Rallye 235, one of the two we used to be towed behind in our Twin Astir gliders at Ocaña was perfectly all right, whereas the other one had an appalling performance to the point that having two pilots onboard during tow was forbidden.

Both had the same O-540 engine but one of them was tri-gear whereas the other one had a tailwheel conversion

Guess which one was which?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Or maybe NMPG is simply not a figure one would typically measure on this kind of airplane unless embarking on such kind of an adventure?

Yes, there are going place planes and there are planes that are cheap to fly per hour. The Venn diagram of the two classes leaves a lot in one camp but not the other.

An O-200 typically burns about 6 US GPH which is fairly inexpensive per hour but not necessarily cheap per mile unless it’s in e.g. a Vari-Eze.

Thx @Silvaire…makes sense!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message