Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody using Camguard? (merged)

You may well be right but there is no way to test this experimentally without potentially trashing the engine...

You can unport a pump inlet by both pitch and yaw, potentially.

On mine, it is obvious that anything over 10 is lost fairly quickly, but below 10 isn't, so there is no reason for me to mess with it. I am burning 1qt every 5-6hrs which is average for a good engine. A new and tight engine might be doing 1 in 10.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If your oil usage is less than 1qt in 25hrs, that is a miracle engine. I have never come across any "540" style engine burning less than 1qt in 10hrs.

I just came across this thread, when searching for Camguard. Achim pointed me here.

I too have an oil consumption which is around 1qt per 20-30hrs. And I fly a PA32R-301T with a TIO-540-AH1A.

Still questioning myself, whether to use Camguard. Currently my oil is AS 15w50.

I fly a PA32R-301T with a TIO-540-AH1A. Still questioning myself, whether to use Camguard.

Officially Camguard is not approved for turbocharged engines. That's because the FAA generally want separate approvals for turbocharged airplanes, even with avionics.

As I wrote earlier, I have found a big reduction in the main metals, with Camguard.

What I will do for the next oil change (this weekend) is to go back to 100% AS 15W50. The last 3 intervals were done with 50/50 W80 and 15W50, but the most awesome reduction in e.g. chromium was with 100% 15W50 (plus Camguard of course).

Administrator

Officially Camguard is not approved for turbocharged engines. That's because the FAA generally want separate approvals for turbocharged airplanes, even with avionics.

I have looked up this "approval" stuff. I understand that there is no explicit approval for turbocharged engines. But from what I have read, you can still use it without any problems. It is not necessary to have an FAA approval.

What I will do for the next oil change (this weekend) is to go back to 100% AS 15W50. The last 3 intervals were done with 50/50 W80 and 15W50, but the most awesome reduction in e.g. chromium was with 100% 15W50 (plus Camguard of course).

Does that mean you recommend using it with 15w50? Or do you believe in an advantage to using W80 or W100?

The former.

See Ed Kollin's posts earlier in this thread. He is the developer of Camguard.

Administrator

The former. See Ed Kollin's posts earlier in this thread. He is the developer of Camguard.

Actually I can't find a post where he recommends 15W50. I just find recommendations of mixing 15W50 with W80 or W100.

I think the issue is whether you are happy with a single viscosity oil for all year round operations.

The best recommendation seems to be to use W80 or W100, plus Camguard, but that isn't going to be good for both summer and winter if you use the same oil.

Using part 15W50 (plus Camguard) is supposed to address that issue.

It's the best one can do.

Obviously somebody flying 500 hrs a year doesn't have a problem because he will be doing at least 10 oil changes a year.

Administrator

Ed Collin recommends against 15W50, he said this is the last oil he would ever use because of its 50% synthetic PAO component which transforms into something nasty.

Ed recommends all mineral oils or in case you need multi viscosity, Philips X/C.

Sign in to add your message