Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody using Camguard? (merged)

So I guess I will be the first in Europe to use Phillips X/C

I don't think so 8-) My mechanic used Phillips X/C for a long time, but recently switched to Total.

LSZK, Switzerland

Another bit of info on Phillips X/C - the manufacturer also claims it to be especially good for radial engines.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What is the ratio please of Camguard to oil? thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I remember when I used to use oil.... :)

I found few of the arguments for additives very convincing. In my view the best way to run a high compression piston is to regularly change the oil ie every 50 hours or so.

EGTK Oxford

If you have two spare hours, listen to Mike Busch telling you 'All About Oil'

Camguard definitely does work. See previous postings on the topic.

Whether it is worth bothering with depends on the context. If you have say a flying school which has to overhaul the engine at 12 years anyway, and which flies almost daily, then there is no point in looking after the engine a bit better. For a private owner, it is definitely worth using.

50hrs is too long for oil changes. If you do oil analysis you will see a rapid increase in the metals after about 40hrs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You guys pushed me over the edge :-) After reading about it for some time i picked up some Camguard at the parts store yesterday. I was there buying a new Lycoming alternator belt anyway... Not much change from $100 for those two small items combined. Holy cow.

My troublesome MT prop is off being serviced and the plane is sitting. I poured the Camguard in the engine, knowing full well it won't make a bit of difference if I can't run the thing. Corrosion really is the bane of all machinery.

While I usually did change before 50 hours. This:

50hrs is too long for oil changes. If you do oil analysis you will see a rapid increase in the metals after about 40hrs.

Was not true for my engine.

EGTK Oxford

What kind of oil analysis data did you get if you went to or past 50hrs, compared with doing a change a bit earlier?

I have several data points, all showing a significant increase in metals per hour.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Two (low-cost) things you can do to prevent engine corrosion:

1. After flying, remove oil dipstick to let the warm moist air out of engine
  2. Use a engine dehumidifier.

It have worked for me and for the airplane owner before me for some 20 years now.

ESSN
Sign in to add your message