Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approaches to minima (and departure minima)

how often do we actually carry out such an approach?

I have done an ILS in OVC002-003 several times in the last 10 years, but don’t specifically recall whether the vis was 550m.

I have also done an RNAV NP approach down to the MDA of about 450ft a few times, and in poor vis too, and that was harder especially as for some reason one might not be exactly lined up with the runway.

All on autopilot of course

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is not often that I have to fly all the way to the minima, but if I have to I will do so. In about all cases, at the minima I will see the runway or part of the runway environment. It must be pretty bad to then not see anything. I always plan for a go around and actually expect the go-around to happen. However, I can’t remember having to go around more than once or twice.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

My question is, what is the legal minima for departures under the new SERA rules?

Operating minimums are defined in EASA part-OPS (and not SERA).
Part-NCO states that any take-off with RVR<400 m is a LVTO which requires a LVO approval.

About departure / takeoff minima: what is legally the minimum visibility? Is it 150 meters? or are 0/0 departures allowed? In the US, 0/0 departures are allowed I think for private flights (part 91).

Until a few years ago, a 0/0 departure was legal in the UK for an N-reg. Yes, allowed in the USA…

For EGKA:

For EGHH:

These appear on Jepp plate 10-9A

Part-NCO states that any take-off with RVR<400 m is a LVTO which requires a LVO approval.

Who can depart from EGKA in 250m vis?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Who can depart from EGKA in 250m vis?

It depends on the operator.

EASA Part-OPS applies to aircraft registered in an EASA member state and also to foreign registered aircraft whose operators are established or resident in an EASA member state.

So if you operate under Part-NCO, you need to hold a LVO approval for take-off with a 250m RVR.
Getting a LVO approval restricted to take-off with RVR between 150m and 400m is supposed to be simple… But still looks like a big hassle according to some guide I found

I don’t know what FAA Part 91 says regarding operating minimum, but an American resident / operator flying a N-reg aircraft at EGKA may not need any approval to depart with a 250m RVR. You need to check FAA Part 91 for this one.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 31 Oct 22:50

Yes since Part-NCC i have been limited to 400m from far lower before.

EGTK Oxford

Last few days I did several approaches: at OVC005 (DA 450) with BR and visibility 1000, at BKN003 (DA 250) with RA and visibility 1000, at FEW002 (DA 250) with BCFG (visibility 400). All hand flying, all ILS and it wasn’t so easy but it was good for building self confidence

Also one takeoff with LVP, fog, visibility 300 and VV001.

Interesting period of year

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So, is Part-NCO compliance required for private flights? I have not rrad up about Part-NCO or NC.

EDLE, Netherlands

Well, then you should. Part-NCO is law and applies to your flying in Europe.

The executive summary is here

As you can see above, the 400m vis minimum for takeoff is a frequently broken rule…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Why are you asking this question? It happens. When it happens you’re glad you trained for it.

Because this is a civilised, friendly forum where you are likely to get an interesting discussion with useful input from a range of practitioners – and it seems to have worked!

I agree with Peter my approaches in murky, night NPA make me a devoted believer in the ILS.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message