Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC request to intercept a VOR radial?

@Flyer59 Thank you, in this case l think you underestimate my students and many VFR pilots. Intercepting a given radial is nothing complicated and witha proper preflight briefing I don’t know many students who will have problems intercepting a radial.

I know many pilots who actually use this to identify airports or reporting points. Although it more and more becomes backup over GPS navigation.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I stand by my opinion: most VFR pilots have no idea how that works. Your students might be better. Good instructor!

Just going back to un specified intercepts on SIDs, I don’t have plates anywhere near me at the minute but I think the RW09 SIDs at Liverpool EGGP have this. I am remembering the WAL departure in particular which I think is just “turn left to intercept Radial 096 to WAL” after passing a certain level.

United Kingdom

It’s not unusual to have a turn (charted for a particular speed) rolling out on a radial to a VOR. That’s the case on the WAL2V. If you’re not doing exactly the planned speed, an adjustment may be required to intercept the radial, but it should be pretty close.

It’s also not unusual to have a course to an intercept (CI leg). what_next’s example of the DEGES 2W is unusual because there is no course specified for the intercept. I cannot imagine that would be the case unless the leg started very close to the radial, as in that case.

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message