Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

Just to reming you guys we have PMs on EuroGA – see here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What it can’t do is continuously display whatever “MFD page” you want to see (e.g. the route and its waypoints) e.g. while you are fiddling with something else e.g. entering a DCT to some waypoint.

Using the direct-to function is so little effort on the GTN750, it is hardly a distraction for a few seconds. If the waypoint is on your map, then you can just touch the map and go directly to it. One can even graphically enter the entire flightplan without leaving the map, including the complex one you just posted.

KUZA, United States

Right, and I am sure that the IFD440/540 will be great products. Actually, from what I saw on trade shows I like the user interface better than Garmin’s GTN650. But I’ll not invest in either of those – but upgrade my 2 GNS430s to WAAS, which is a much better deal for a private pilots … I simply cannot justify putting another € 30.000 into the plane just for a nicer user interface …

That is why I bought 2 in the prebuy offer for 17k usd. When I receive them I will sell my non waas 530&430 and I will probably be better of than if I had upgraded the two to Waas at 3k usd a piece. Especially with the big radio replacement scheme due to 8.33 there will be a good market for my used Garmins. True the upgrade to waas is basically a new box but it is also a a very old interface. The ifd540 is simply from a totally different planet and my panel will fit 2!

Where I made a mistake to also order the mlx770 straight away .. I did that as part of a package deal.. They told me the ifd540 would not support it at initial release .. But I never figured the initial release to take this long. It is a strategic product combination so I am positive it will come.

I really hope the user interface is much better than what I have seen at Oshkosh. The touch screen was difficult to use (some touches worked others were ignored) and most functions had very little depth. I attribute this to demo level hardware and software and expect the real product will be much better.

KUZA, United States

I would not spend money putting Garmin 430/530 WAAS boxes in unless it was truly the only option. They are incredibly dated – better to wait for a better deal on 650/750s or even the Avidyne should it ever emerge.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, it’s [email protected]

I have read a report from the Sun & Fun show in the USA, suggesting that people have given up on this and also on the KSN770, with little interest at the booths.

The deposit refunds won’t do Avidyne much good… the whole reason for that programme was to raise cash.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Apr 17:26
Administrator

“Avidyne plans to have the unit certified and available for purchase at EAA AirVenture in late July in Oshkosh, Wis.”“Link

Let’s meet again here in July…

Last Edited by mrfacts at 05 Apr 19:32
EDLN and EDKB

Here is a pic of two of them in a stack, supposedly running close to final software

It comes from a pilot in the USA (with his consent) who put his plane on the Exp regime so he could install noncertified avionics, and he is beta testing it for Avidyne.

Administrator

Lovely! I have a real mind to wait and then get them once they are out. Looks a sight better than my current 430…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message