Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Battery load test shortens battery life - really?

Don’t try that with a Gill …

Why?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Based on my experience with Gills (hundreds installed over the years), it would never have made it to 6 years, let alone with >90% capacity.

Last Edited by Michael at 14 Feb 12:04
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

How to check if battery needs replacement

Is there any easy way to determine if an aircraft battery needs replacement?

I constantly find some of my avionics equipment fail to start or work properly due to low voltage thresholds, and it starts to get really annoying.

I always make sure I don’t leave any equipment on when the engine is not running, however it seems the battery rapidly discharges below 11.5V after a few minutes of use without the alternator running, which doesn’t seem normal.

I wonder if one can easily perform a battery ‘health check’ without any expensive equipment…

LRIA, Romania

-A simple health check is to ….start your engine ! This pumps many Ah from the battery. Is the starter working vigorously ?
-Another way to check unknown Ah drainage is to insert a Multimeter in Ah configuration between your battery( + )and the Red cable.

LGGG

The resting voltage can be measured. They say….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The note is important…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There must be something wrong with the table, because my engine starts with no issues when voltage is at 11.6V, which, according to the table should place the battery at 0% charge.

LRIA, Romania

AlexTB20 wrote:

There must be something wrong with the table, because my engine starts with no issues when voltage is at 11.6V, which, according to the table should place the battery at 0% charge.

Is that open circuit voltage or with loads?

I have no idea, it’s the voltage reported by the JPI EDM930.

LRIA, Romania

AlexTB20 wrote:

I have no idea, it’s the voltage reported by the JPI EDM930.

With the master switch on, of course? Then it is with load and the table doesn’t apply.

Sign in to add your message