Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bordeaux LFBD visual approach (VAC/VPT approach?)

I fly to Bergerac and I always put Bordeaux as alternate, I started scrolling their plates to refresh and I got puzzled by their “visual approaches”, they do not look like VAC VFR visual approach to circuit? or VPT visual IFR approach to runway?

Is this a visual approach under IFR? I had the impression in visual approach clearance under IFR one does not follow prescribed tracks, you just ask when you have runway in-sight to make a direct long final or join circuit (no cancel)

The tracks here are defined with respect to nav aids like VPT, if this is just some VPT then why it’s not named as such on the plates? why there are no weather minima on it? looking at VPT for Annecy (only the braves will fly that one ) it has visibility & M/DH as well as vertical profile, so surely not the same thing…

Back to basics: is this performed under VFR or IFR? from plates it seems that pilot has to sort out his RA247 access…

Maybe PINS for fixed wings ?

They are not coded in Garmin DB…

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 14:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I fly to Bergerac and I always put Bordeaux as alternate, I started scrolling their plates to refresh and I got puzzled by their “visual approaches”, they do not look like VAC VFR visual approach to circuit? or VPT visual IFR approach to runway?

Is this a visual approach under IFR? I had the impression in visual approach clearance under IFR one does not follow prescribed tracks, you just ask when you have runway in-sight to make a direct long final or join circuit (no cancel)

The first chart is a VFR chart. The remaining LFBD charts don’t show tracks. What looks like tracks are boundaries you are supposed to keep to one side of.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The very first page you have posted is only the first page of the official VAC.
(Edit : there are at least half a dozen pages you need)

Im finding it hard to see what is difficult to understand about that plate, which is a really descriptive VFR chart in the same style as all other French VAC plates – I wish other countries had the same higun standard of VFR aerodrome plate.
You have the VRPs that you may be asked to report at, and the lines connecting them are the headings/distances. In the text later on they are described (IIRC, I believe N is Castelnau, NW is St Helene) with expected altitudes to fly in the CTR, then you will be told to join base/downwind to land. You dont sort out any Restricted area access.

Of course you might get a straight in…

Im guessing the other charts are something to do with IFR approaches to a visual landing?? I’ve not seen or used them before. Im guessing that you will be IFR and so wont need the first chart anyway and they will vector you where they want you?

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 06 Oct 17:06

I was referring to the two approaches for Bordeaux with no names on their Jeppsen IFR plates (or funky AIP names LFBD ENV1 and LFBD ENV2), I have no clue what these are? and what does it mean to fly one?

The VAC chart & VPT plate are just for references, I think they are easy to understand and I think I know what they mean: I flew VFR to Bordeaux and used the VAC chart and I have flown IFR to Annecy and used the VPT plate

The remaining LFBD charts don’t show tracks. What looks like tracks are boundaries you are supposed to keep to one side of.

For VPT you fly the prescribed track to the letter, it’s called “Visual with Prescribed Track” unlike CircleToLand (CTL MVL) where you have to stay inside the protected ellipse or one side, the other difference, you don’t have to keep the runway environment in-sight for the VPT just the prescribed ground track…

Maybe the case for ENV1 & ENV2 plates? the track defines the boundaries you need to keep to one side? but it does not make much sense given you have to avoid the built up areas…

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 19:00

not sure where the doubt is Ibra. I don’t have the BOD IFR plates at hand right now, but the 1st picture above is, as pointed by skydriller, a VFR chart with its referenced reporting points.
On the plate for Annecy, the manoeuvre is IFR/VFR. The IFR part flown to the MDA, at which point you must see the airport visually to continue or G/A, then VFR using prescribed flight tracks to position oneself precisely for the final approach. This type of stuff is quite common, mostly used on circling approaches.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Let’s forget about VAC & VPT, indeed they are very common…

Now, what is this LFBD ENV1 approach? I don’t recall I saw one anywhere else or I flew one in the past, I am 100% sure it’s not a VAC and 100% sure it’s not a VPT

Edit: I found an AIC related to another version of it, AIP SUP 024/19

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/pub/media/store/documents/file/l/f/lf_sup_2019_024_en.pdf

More info/confusion here,
https://www.ifalpa.org/media/2013/15atsbl03-the-rnav-visual.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 19:30

Ibra wrote:

Now, what is this LFBD ENV1 approach? I don’t recall I saw one anywhere else or I flew one in the past? I am 100% sure it’s not the VAC and 100% sure it’s not the VPT

It is not an approach. It’s instructions on how to fly a visual approach to rwy 05. Doesn’t the text box make that clear?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Oct 19:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

well, it is what it says, namely an Environment-Visual Approach plate for the 05.
It is the one you will study during the cruise, whilst sipping the coffee the cute F/A just brought-in. The weather at destination permits a visual approach, and you all your hopes to get the request for a visual approach now rest on the shoulders of your 1st Officer. Assuming lo traffic density, no SES pronounced on the freq nor in the ATC control room for the last week, and some other obscure factors, you might get that elusive clearance. You will then bravely follow the instructions given in the Environment-Visual Approach plate, lest you might, or at best your company, be in trouble. Noise fees and prosecutions are very expensive in France, and don’t even think about asking as to me knowing…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Noise fees and prosecutions are very expensive in France, and don’t even think about asking as to me knowing…

Really? Never heard about this before from anyone…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

It is not an approach. It’s instructions on how to fly a visual approach to rwy 05. Doesn’t the text box make that clear?

No it was not clear to me that it was the instructions to fly an “IFR visual approach”, it also lists GPS & NAV waypoints, do you need DME & ADF equipment to fly it?

Do other IFR airports have something similar, if you want to fly IFR visual? to be honest this is the first of its kind (I had the impression you have to check the VAC for any restrictions?)

Environment-Visual Approach

Pipistrel electric aircraft, are they exempt?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 19:54
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message