Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Just read that the UK aviation industry “rejects” the decision to leave EASA. Whatever “rejects” means in this context.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Malibuflyer wrote:

the infamous German “Zuverlässigkeitsüberprüfung”

Hasn’t that one been found to be illegal by the EU?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Hasn’t that one been found to be illegal by the EU?

Despite popular belief: It hasn’t!

It’s true that the commission has started infringement proceedings on that matter (in 2014) but after the German government responded to the commission that they belief that they do not breach the treaties, it doesn’t look like the commission is driving this case further.
As far as I can see (please correct me if I’m wrong) this matter has not been brought in front of the court once by now (it needs actually to court rulings before a member state can be fined).

Germany

What is it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What is it?

Literally translated, Zuverlässigkeitsüberprüfung means something like “reliability check”. It is a piece of legislation that came into force after 9/11 and means that the German security apparatus performs background checks on all applicants and holders of a pilot license. Usually it is valid for 7 years. You need a valid ZÜP to fly legally. You can lose your “reliability” by violating laws or coming under investigation from intelligence services (i.e. if you are a member of a mosque community that is under investigation for extremist islamist activities, you might not pass the ZÜP).

Similar legislation is in place for holders of a gun ownership license. As a medical doctor, pilot and gun owner, I’m personally very wary of breaking any laws, since this could terminate both my main source of income (the license to practice medicine can also be revoked if you commit any crimes) and my two main hobbies…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

LeSving wrote:

Just read that the UK aviation industry “rejects” the decision to leave EASA. Whatever “rejects” means in this context.

Now that FlyBe is out of business, it means: none of them is actually milking the highly profitable routes between Heathrow/Luton and Norwich/Blackpool

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Mar 10:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What is it?

A security check done by the local police authority (pulling together different sources from criminal records to intelligence information) that needs to be repeated every 5 years. German CAAs won’t issue a new license or rating without such a security check.

It’s not really different (in fact much less) from what the TSA or DHS do in the US – but as in Germany you have to apply for such a check every 5 years (more specifically: give the police the permission to get such information from other agencies) while DHS can do that w/o asking anyone, may pilots in Germany are strongly and very emotionally against it (I’m sure I’ll get a shitstorm for this statement ;-)).
The more rational discussions behind this check are e.g. if it is really a sign of not being trustworthy to fly a plane (or work at an airport) if you have been sentenced to a significant penalty due to tax fraud.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

e.g. if it is really a sign of not being trustworthy to fly a plane (or work at an airport) if you have been sentenced to a significant penalty due to tax fraud

If they changed it to “Sign of not being trustworthy to even own a bizjet” that could really change the landscape for tax evaders… :)

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

Sure – the bad news for our friends in the UK is, however, that in the European concept of a “level playing field” team Europe can send 460 Mio. players on that field while UK has only 66 Mio.

I couldn’t resist commenting on this. That implication is that every individual has exactly the same economic value / impact. I heard the previous Irish leader try to make a similar argument. It surely makes no sense to anyone with the ability to reason.

Economy size wise it’s like the EU 28 becoming the EU10.

It’s a huge opportunity, and I’d love to see more sense and less over regulation. I suspect the inertia from the blob may be a challenge.

Even from GDP-view it’s about 16tr to 2,8tr.
A little bit better, but still not a good position even on a level plying field if the british have to play a team of 63 players on the other side (and Germany wins on penalties anyways ;-))

Germany
Sign in to add your message