Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corfu LGKR monopoly extortion

Just heard about new astonishingly excessive charges for (mandatory) passing through Corfu new GA Terminal for all aircraft exceeding 1.7tn. Example for a Seneca with 6 occupants – 4,000 euro!!! That’s four thousand euro for the arrival and departure!!! Let’s hope sufficient protest gets this extortion removed as it’s a monopoly airport on the island.

Super Legacy XP
EGTF LFMD, United Kingdom

@petakas @atmilatos may be interested.

Is this related to the fraport extortion scheme?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From AOPA in Greece, July monthly newsletter :
https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=c75ba17a3fd84384a45b67e66&id=7c6450da34
Scroll down the middle of the report,
1. Intervention by AOPA Hellas regarding charges for the GA/BA Lounge

My Comment:
I wouldn’t call it an Extortion.
Its a business “It is what it is” thing from FRAPORT’s side only for a short peak summer period and only for LGKR Corfu and LGMK Mykonos which have extreme demand by Private/Corporate Jets.
All other 12 of their 14 airports do not impose that GA/BA lounge thing on GA.

Last Edited by petakas at 23 Aug 09:08
LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

Its a business “It is what it is” thing from FRAPORT’s side only for a short peak summer period and only for LGKR Corfu and LGMK Mykonos which have extreme demand by Private/Corporate Jets.

While this is not great those airports are of limited use to GA travel in summer anyway due to no parking and very short ground times allowed. Is known if the charge also applies to fuel and customs stops as Corfu was a popular option when Ioannina is closed etc.?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

GA travel in summer anyway due to no parking

Sure, but if Corfu could be bothered to get off its arse there is a huge amount of space on the north end of the west side of the runway that could be tarmacced for GA parking. Last time I was there it was weeds with a couple of busted up wrecks sitting there. I think you could get 20 light aircraft parked there.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I used to go to LGKR a lot, €30 a time, and they could park the whole Turkish airforce there, but still the manager told me with a totally straight face they need the 24hr PPR to “manage apron capacity”.

A huge bizjet belonging, presumably, to one of the beneficiaries of the “3 submarines for the price of 10” Thyssen-Krupp deal was parked right outside, diagonally and taking up the space of about 10 GA planes

To paraphrase Gallois, “you will never change [insert country] culture”. Well, Fraport’s 2nd greatest achievement was to show the poor Greeks how to f**k everybody more effectively The 1st one was how to extract money and send it back to Greek’s principal lenders, but Greece had its back to the wall then (like always).

A great loss

Administrator

But not all is lost. When Corfu and surroundings are the most pleasant (April, May, October), it is still generall possible to use the airport:

• parking generally possible
  • fees high, but since the lowering of the Fraport fees, still just within reason for AOPA members
  • good opening times
  • Avgas available
  • customs

I used Corfu in May last year to get to the very south of Albania and the airport experience was ok.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

While this is not great those airports are of limited use to GA travel in summer anyway due to no parking and very short ground times allowed. Is known if the charge also applies to fuel and customs stops as Corfu was a popular option when Ioannina is closed etc.

Sorry but I cannot agree with the statement that Corfu is on limited use. My partner in our aeroplane has a home on the island of Corfu and therfore our use of the airport is essential – there is no other way to get their unless we use Ryanair/Easy/BA etc. I do understand that Fraport were given these Greek airports as part of the 2010 bail out with a government contract absense of any restrictions toward non CAT charges, wow are they now abusing that monopoly position? Its a clear breach of article 102 of the Treaty for Functioning of the European Eunion and needs strong body interested parties to get the situation changed.

Super Legacy XP
EGTF LFMD, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, LGKR seems to
be lost for GA, at least in summer. Maybe they drop the GAT use in winter? Could someone shed a light?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Oct 17:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How does one google translate text within an image?

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message