Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Coverage and data comparison SkyDemon / EasyVFR (ex. PocketFMS)

LeSving:
With the correct settings (microlight airfileds selected to be shown) SkyDemon shows all four airports you claim to be missing, with all the relevant information. Airfiled Enler shows up as Gouldal/Ler and not under the name Enler.

Your example shows two things:
1. Know your software, finding out the settings for the mission profile that suits ones needs.
2. which one of the flight planners/moving maps one chooses depends on the personal preferences. I personally prefer the vector-generated charts of Skydemon (what you call cartoon-like) for their clarity at any zoom level.

Regards, Paul

LSZG

Bleriot wrote:

Know your software

Sky Demon is not my software and never has been. In principle I agree though. Besides, there are no microlight airfields in Norway, there is no such definition. An airfield is an airfield. ENLER or Ler is 700m grass and Gauldal is the name of the glider club there (an end of life club with only one motorglider left), but the strip is private with a couple of experimentals, an RV-6 amongst others. Henning is inhabited by a horde of microlights. Frosta was made by a couple of guys with a Cherokee some 20 years ago. Today it also is an (official) helicopter landing spot.

Bleriot wrote:

I personally prefer the vector-generated charts of Skydemon (what you call cartoon-like) for their clarity at any zoom level.

Why do you need clarity when that clarity contains no information? For me a real map is a must because the ATC often refers to geographic names on the official maps, and expect the same in return. But I change maps in flight also to take advantage of vector graphics.

When (if) SD also contains real maps, I will maybe take a closer look, but it’s nice they finally got smaller fields also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Moral of the story – the airfields claimed “missing” were in fact always there :-)

I think that if you made every user of the Ipad nav tools sit an exam on how to operate the user interface, the results would be shocking.

I say this based on people I have flown with.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Probably true. It is always being said that navigation apps increase flight
safety dramatically, due to much improved situational awareness of the pilots.

I would dare to say that by at least the same margin, it creates a lot of havoc because of people flying around with “incomplete” maps due to problematic user settings.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Aug 07:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Moral of the story – the airfields claimed “missing” were in fact always there :-)

In fact SkyDemon also includes the airfield Skogn (between Frosta and Henning) which is not on the EasyVFR chart!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Bleriot wrote:

I personally prefer the vector-generated charts of Skydemon (what you call cartoon-like) for their clarity at any zoom level.

Well, that’s a matter of taste. I use SkyDemon and is very happy with it, but because of the lack of detail I don’t feel its vector charts can replace paper charts.

But maybe I should take a look at EasyVFR as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

because of the lack of detail I don’t feel its vector charts can replace paper charts.

Does this mean everyone flying with SD or EasyVFR also buys the paper charts for each country and airport?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I agree where your going, and to add though, I have flown with some pilots who didn’t look out of the window once when using an iPad. Just duly followed the pink SD line and complained that Information didn’t tell him about conflicting traffic.

I have also flown with someone whose iPad shut down due to overheat, and they just froze in mild panic.

So I am still to be convinced that it is a general increase in safety. I do fly with SD but either have a backup device with SD, plus the Garmin in my cockpit or SD print outs that I can access.

What worries me is head down in the cockpit following the lines and not looking outside, this in my opinion is a negative safety effect.

EDHS, Germany

Vladimir wrote:

Does this mean everyone flying with SD or EasyVFR also buys the paper charts for each country and airport?

No. For me, SD is enough for VFR flying. I don’t really care that much about all landmarks, city names, etc. With a moving map, you do not have to recognize features to navigate, you can just use the GPS. Good maps were important when there was no ownship symbol on it and one had to match the view through the window with the map to find out where one was. That is completely irrelevant today.

Sign in to add your message