Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing borders within Schengen zone

Airborne_Again wrote:

As a matter of interest – assuming you traveled by air, didn’t you have to show some proof of ID at check-in? It’s been quite a while since I last traveled intra-Schengen by air, so don’t recall….

Well, I’ve been doing that weekly for the past eight years. For a very long time, I didn’t even carry my ID, let alone passport.

In previous months, airlines have become more diligent and sometimes (!) demand an ID to be shown upon bag drop (incidentally, if I don’t have checked luggage, no checks ). For domestic flights, I’ve always gotten away with showing my driver’s license, but I do now carry my ID and/or passport with me, again.

This is for normal airlines. Budget airlines make a huge fuzz about this and check your ID multiple times (check-in, then gate, etc.) because it’s part of their business model to charge high fees for name changes.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I think the objection to National ID cards in the UK (and Ireland) is not the concept of having the card to hand for the occasions when you need to identify yourself, but rather the insidious possibility that you may be required to have it on your person at all times…. In the UK (or Australia) for example it is not necessary to even have your driving licence with you when driving… Personally I like it that way

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think the objection to National ID cards in the UK (and Ireland) is not the concept of having the card to hand for the occasions when you need to identify yourself, but rather the insidious possibility that you may be required to have it on your person at all times

Indeed. Nobody minds having to bring ID when you need it. An Irish person wouldn’t expect to turn up at the airport without a passport. If we want to open a bank account we need a passport or drivers licence (to prove identity) + two utility bill (or other forms of proof) to prove address.

What most object to is, as AnthonyQ says, the requirement to carry it at all times.

The government works for the people, not the other way around. The government is the hired help, and the people the boss. The government need to remember that, or sooner or later a revolution follows

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I understand a recent flight from Scotland to England was requested to file a GAR and was met at destination. The previous leg was England – Scotland. Both airports were official airports not farm strips. After checking IDs against the GAR, pilot and passengers were waved on.

The GAR is easily filed these days via an .xls link.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That’s astonishing, Robert. How was the GAR “requested”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was IFR and through destination handling.

Obviously the person at destination handling was a moron

… or an “OUT” voter …

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Anthony the request came from Border Force, not offered by handling who are not deficient in this case

Robert, clearly there is (a lot) more to this story…prima facie no international borders were crossed….nothing to do with UKBF….

Sign in to add your message