Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Distance Learning for PPL/LAPL theory?

I have now sent the information to our Swedish CAA that I wish to use the UK AltMoC and I am waiting for their answer. I will post here when I here something.

ESSZ, Sweden
If I am not mistaken, all approved AltMoCs should be applicable in all member states

Unfortunately this is not the case. At least the German LBA says that the AMCs are binding (“hard law”), because they (the LBA) have not published any alternative AMCs.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

And the teachers know the questions on the tests which as a I remember was one of the main reasons people would pass.

In 2009 I used the simplifier and the confuser and some books for certain subjects. Did all the exams very quickly, at one point 3 on a weekend (all 100pct) with zero prior study (and managed to do some flying). Doing ground school would have been a massive waste of time in my case (but I have an engineering degree)

I have the pdfs for the confuser. Happy to send since as far as I know they are not sold commercially anymore.

Last Edited by Noe at 25 Nov 09:20

When I started my PPL, about four years ago, I was told of the mandatory 100 hour ground school but the club’s view was that most of that would be covered by the pre and post flight briefings each time I flew – which I thought was an excellent way to deal with it! Subsequently I think the CAA dropped the mandatory minimum.

Excellent!

Ground school suits some people but if it is not mandatory I would encourage students to see how they do on one of the online question banks before parting with the cash for ground school – it might not be as difficult as you think!

Having recently seen the crap in the PPL exams (my younger son made a start on it before apparently dropping it) I think the online QB is by far the best way.

However many of us had exposure to flying, and mechanical things generally, before we started on the PPL. That is always a lot easier. If OTOH “you” have little connection with mechanical things and the physical world then ground school may be better since it will teach you some useful basics.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Think I found it, CAP1298. Looks good, I will have a look at it. If I am not mistaken, all approved AltMoCs should be applicable in all member states. Otherwise it would create unfair competition.

[ local copy ]

ESSZ, Sweden

Xtophe wrote:

The UK has an Alternative MOC whithout the 100 hours.

That sounds great, if there is an AltMoC it would apply in all member states. Anyone has a link to it? I will try to google it.

ESSZ, Sweden

When I started my PPL, about four years ago, I was told of the mandatory 100 hour ground school but the club’s view was that most of that would be covered by the pre and post flight briefings each time I flew – which I thought was an excellent way to deal with it! Subsequently I think the CAA dropped the mandatory minimum.

I was offered ground school as a way of passing the exams but chose to read Trevor Thom and Jeremy Pratt books from cover to cover. I used the Jeremy Pratt/AFE revision books and an online PPL question bank. I bought most of the books cheap on eBay and spend the savings from not paying for ground school on AVGAS!!!

Ground school suits some people but if it is not mandatory I would encourage students to see how they do on one of the online question banks before parting with the cash for ground school – it might not be as difficult as you think!

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

The 100 hours is only an AMC in to FCL.210.
The UK has an Alternative MOC whithout the 100 hours.
France and Netherlands also have declared AltMOC but I haven’t check their content.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But the proposal to make x hours mandatory has AFAIK been cancelled (some previous threads on this I think).

Well, at least in Sweden(and all of EASA AFAIK) there is a requirement for 100 hrs theoretical instruction for PPL training. If you do distance learning, there is still a requirement for at least 10 hours.

ESSZ, Sweden

https://www.easypplgroundschool.com

This might be worth a look (I have no business link )

Now retired from forums best wishes
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message