Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Equipment requirements for European IR training and test

From here

IR test in owner aircraft

The practical exam has nothing to do with the ATO iirc.

always learning
LO__, Austria

That is country-dependent; also if you can’t find an ATO to do the ATO hours in, you won’t be doing the practical test either

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed, it’s very country dependent, I know how it works in France & UK for owners aircraft and how people are “put forward” to the test

In UK, it’s very rare, maybe max 5 owners in the last 20 years managed to do IR test in their own aircraft? the rest had to learn to fly DA40 & PA28, it’s obligatoire!

Not sure how many FAA IR holders who are looking to get CBIR conversion after Dec21 managed to do the IR test in their aircraft, with 50h IFR PIC this does not even involve ATO, so it’s pure IRE & CAA decision, I would be interested to hear from these guys if they had any luck using own aircraft (I am sure we have plenty in EuroGA)

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Jan 21:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

maybe max 5 owners in the last 20 years managed to do IR test in their own aircraft?

No; far more. No idea where that figure comes from. Last stats, 2019 show 66 PPL IRs issued (probably includes some working towards a CPL).

But they often struggle finding an FTO to take their plane on, regardless of whether on-condition or not. So the majority will be doing it in an FTO plane, which is expensive and a waste of currency on type.

Not sure how many FAA IR holders who are looking to get CBIR conversion after Dec21 managed to do the IR test in their aircraft

The indications are that very few are bothering. Most will stick with a PPL+IMCR, fly to mid Channel and ask the French for an IR clearance. It’s shorter anyway, EGKA DCT BILGO at 5000ft v. DCT SFD DCT TRACA and vectors all over the place, is a saving of ~15 mins.

The CAA just shot itself in the foot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is country-dependent;

Regarding skill tests? Those are „outside ATO“, not considered training and hence can be done in an owner‘s aircraft.

Perhaps you mean it’s dependent on UK vs. EASA (EU) regulatory environment.

It isn’t country dependent within EASA states.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Jan 09:05
always learning
LO__, Austria

Why not contact Rate One Aviation based at Gloucester EGBJ?

They are an ATO focussed on non-commercial IR training, in particular using the student’s aircraft.

From their website

Your Aircraft

Obviously this has the benefit that you are familiar with its characteristics.
It must fulfil a few non-negotiable requirements if it to be used for a test.

• It must be legal for IFR in UK airspace. This implies an ADF, DME, VOR, an approved GPS with a current database, 8.33kHz radio and Mode S transponder.
  • Dual brakes.
  • The flight manual and its supplements must be up to date, any IFR restrictions in the manual complied with
  • It must be insured for flight training and the skill test
  • The last maintenance must have been signed off by a licensed engineer (i.e. no pilot maintenance for the previous 50 hour check)
FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

MarkW wrote:

It must be legal for IFR in UK airspace. This implies an ADF, DME, VOR, an approved GPS with a current database, 8.33kHz radio and Mode S transponder.
Dual brakes.
The flight manual and its supplements must be up to date, any IFR restrictions in the manual complied with
It must be insured for flight training and the skill test
The last maintenance must have been signed off by a licensed engineer (i.e. no pilot maintenance for the previous 50 hour check)

Frankly, I think that for one reason of the reasons or another, this DOES rule out most typical “owner” planes. That’s just the way it is. And I guess that, except maybe for the last point, these will also apply in European flight schools.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jan 11:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EGSG Stapleford has also provided IR training on an owner aircraft

For my case, it was not possible due to the lack of “dual breaks” and “ADF being INOP” for both IMCR training & CBIR training requests

One of the posters here did it in a privately owned DA40 and I know someone else who did it in his Archer, so probably one of the rare places where it’s possible

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@boscomantico I agree that laundry list is belt and braces, except they forgot the ILS:) In the UK only the ILS qualifies as 3D precision post Brexit.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

MarkW wrote:

Your Aircraft

Obviously this has the benefit that you are familiar with its characteristics.
It must fulfil a few non-negotiable requirements if it to be used for a test.

What gold plating! Dual brakes required for IR training!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message