Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Euro reg to N reg transfer / FAA DAR discussion

I think the options might be

• have a syndicate of 2 or more persons, one of them being an EU citizen, and his details would be with the CAA (does the ANO say the plane has to be wholly owned by EU citizens?)
  • have an EU registered company which owns the plane (the Isle of Man may not be “EU” but I am told it has no BIK, for example); I guess the company would need to be at least majority owned by EU citizens for this to look “good”…
  • use an EU mailbox address and not tell the CAA – this is not an unusual procedure in similar scenarios (notably homebuilts based “abroad”) but if you have an accident and the insurer starts digging, you won’t get a payout because the CofA may be invalid (not sure about the overall effect of the ANO wording here but in the scenario of an N-reg not owned by a US citizen / green card holder the CofR is widely believed to be void).

IANAL, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank-you Peter.

I think these are more appropriate for the OP rather than servicing a Ltd.

In this case, since the plane is old and of low value, changing to N reg the cost would be prohibitive, IMHO.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The other obvious option is a trust – this works for N-regs

Administrator
have a syndicate of 2 or more persons, one of them being an EU citizen, and his details would be with the CAA (does the ANO say the plane has to be wholly owned by EU citizens?)

Good point. Exactly what I suggested to then owner off forum.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

WilliamF 17-Mar-16 14:35 #26
have a syndicate of 2 or more persons, one of them being an EU citizen, and his details would be with the CAA (does the ANO say the plane has to be wholly owned by EU citizens?)
Good point. Exactly what I suggested to then owner off forum.

+ 1

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

This comes up from time to time here (example) and I also get asked privately.

You need

• export CofA (in most cases – avoidable with some planes if provably built to US specs)
  • an A&P/IA
  • a DAR

The DAR situation has always been tricky. I did this stuff in 2005 and that got pretty difficult (due to politics in the company which owned the hangar) and I wrote up the details here to enable others to avoid the obvious issues.

What is the current climate like and are there still significant numbers of people doing it?

Administrator

I have processed a few in the last 12 months and have a couple more in the coming months.

Officially, there has been no change whatsoever. That said, clearly, the DARs have become more demanding.

As a recent example: I had a late model G1000 Cessna 172S inspected a couple of months ago. There was some light hangar rash on the wings.

The DAR insisted that each dent was documented to show that it was “negligible damage” per the Cessna MM with photos of measurements. No big deal, just more work.

With the current climate, I would not want to process an old & ratty plane.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Many thanks for the info Michael.

With the current climate, I would not want to process an old & ratty plane.

From what I hear that has been the case for years… the DAR goes over everything.

When I did mine in 2005, he found that one of the rooftop GPS antennae was seemingly mounted in a “not obviously approved” location (composite roof…) and we found that Air Touring did that installation “off the books”, so two people from there had to drive down, look at it, and generate some paperwork. Luckily AT had not yet gone bust at that point.

Administrator

What is the latest recommendation for a DAR + A&P/IA team?

I get people ask me this regularly but I don’t have any up to date info myself.

Administrator

Just sent you a message for the same info Peter…

I’m in almost the exact same shoes as WhiskeyPapa.
No problem being on EuroReg, except that I may move internationally, and i don’t like having a company here just for a plane…

Seems to me it would be easier to simply swap over to N-Reg.
Only bit that is somewhat grumble grumble for me is that I have to get 2 sets of translations of the logbooks done, as there are 3 languages involved…

Too ignorant at this stage to know for sure if going to N-Reg is the best solution, but I am not comfortable with the idea of going to Australia or SouthEast Asia and trying to find an EASA shop to work on my plane… :(
I think an FAA shop would be a lot easier to find there, given the strength in numbers concept.

Open to absolutely all input and advice on this topic.
Thanks a lot for all you guys have already offered. It is incredible to climb the ropes left by others, so my sincerest thanks for your time, effort and care.

Sign in to add your message