Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Euro reg to N reg transfer / FAA DAR discussion

Too ignorant at this stage to know for sure if going to N-Reg is the best solution, but I am not comfortable with the idea of going to Australia or SouthEast Asia and trying to find an EASA shop to work on my plane

I probably wrote this before but there is a well known story of a G-reg plane which flew down to Australia and there it needed some service and the UK CAA wanted to send two inspectors there on 1st class tickets. The owner decided it was cheaper to put it on the N-reg there and then

So YES is the answer.

However 2 days ago I spoke to a UK guy who sold an N-reg SR22 and it took him several months to get rid of it to a UK buyer who wanted it on the G-reg (or no sale). He could not find a buyer for an N-reg SR22; his view is that the CAA’s screwing around with the regs has scared a lot of people off. There were various delays at various points, not made easier by there being only one DAR available in Europe at the time, apparently – Lloyd Nelson in Switzerland I presume.

So registry transfer is a big hassle.

If you have or can easily get the two sets of pilot papers then N-reg is still the way to go, which is why I am staying on N-reg.

I will reply to your email AF later today.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So YES is the answer.

Taking notes…

Peter wrote:

his view is that the CAA’s screwing around with the regs has scared a lot of people off.

I saw that last year, when N-Reg planes were going for about 10% less than Euro-Reg. Really considered buying N-Reg, but didn’t find what I was looking for in time… (Irony, the sellers can’t find me, and I couldn’t find them)

Peter wrote:

So registry transfer is a big hassle.

Yeah, this has me concerned as well. The irony is that it is the reason I’m really looking to go N-Reg though… because I know the FAA isn’t going to fart around with politics just to get a dig at some rich persona or class…

Peter wrote:

If you have or can easily get the two sets of pilot papers then N-reg is still the way to go, which is why I am staying on N-reg.

Done and dusted.

Peter wrote:

I will reply to your email AF later today.

Thanks

I am getting mixed information on this. My friendly local airplane shop (UK) tells me that the FAA inspector has a monopoly and collects $10k for the privilege of inspecting your aircraft so it can be transferred onto the N reg. This is for a plain vanilla, unmodified Cessna SEP.

Another source tells me there are several FAA inspectors in Europe who can approve the transfer, and it only takes a few hours, with relatively modest cost in AMUs – this assumes your FAA licensed A&P has done the correct preparation and inspections in the first place.

It might be helpful to try and establish the facts on this.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Another source tells me there are several FAA inspectors in Europe who can approve the transfer, and it only takes a few hours, with relatively modest cost in AMUs – this assumes your FAA licensed A&P has done the correct preparation and inspections in the first place.

This IS correct. There is a LIST of DARs published by the FAA here : https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/media/DARTDirectory.pdf

Note that generally speaking (I’ve never seen an actual list or some such), EMEA based DARs are supposed to service EMEA and US based are not normally allowed to make inspections in Europe unless they obtain prior permission from the FAA.

You will note that there are 6 DARs listed in Europe. That said, only 2 or 3 are willing to service piston GA.

PS: Typical DAR fees in Europe for a SEP are running £2000 (+VAT& expenses) the last time I looked.
Last Edited by Michael at 25 Feb 10:32
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael many thanks

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Patrick Healy is the only relatively accessible one still available.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Patrick Healy is the only relatively accessible one still available.

That has not been my experience. I believe he is only doing jets as of at least 5 years now.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

That has not been my experience. I believe he is only doing jets as of at least 5 years now.

Ok. Lloyd is no longer operating as a DAR.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Lloyd is no longer operating as a DAR.

Since when ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Since when ?

Late-November when he was half way through doing my plane…..

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message