Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA 13-14 May 2017 Fly-In Roskilde EKRK / Copenhagen

I should have May 6-14 free, so we may join. Any progress on venue?

I agree with Aviathor: some place warm, like Corsica, Sardinia, Southern Spain, etc. High likelihood of family participation in such case.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 18 Nov 20:42
Tököl LHTL

We could probably make a May trip. Southern Scandinavia is wonderful at that time of year, but on balance I would also vote for somewhere southerly and warm.

EGEO

EKRK is located a few NM south of Roskilde. If you need inspiration look here

From Roskilde you can take the train to Copenhagen (30 minutes).

EKRK, Denmark

Looking at the views expressed, why don’t we do the May one to somewhere “generally warm” and do the September one to Sweden/Denmark/etc?

That should cover all bases. It will give us somewhere warm for May (accessible to most people from central and southern Europe) and then give a chance to our northerly members to turn up without having to fly very far, in September.

We still get rather few people from the UK but that is the same old issue. We would need to do a fly-in to somewhere really nice for a walkabout, say Cambridge, in the summer.

It is now pretty obvious which are the best attended fly-ins: the ones to warm and scenic places by the sea like Mali Losinj, or ones to architecturally scenic places (but also warm enough) like Carcassonne. In good wx we could get 15-20 planes. Actually you can get 30 but 1/3 will cancel last-minute. Also grass means 1/3 will cancel, no avgas means 1/2 will cancel, VFR only means 1/3 will cancel, etc. In the north, VFR-only would make more than 1/3 cancel…

However I don’t want to do another “Carcassonne” ever. Without Nestor’s superb organisation we would not have even got avgas, standing next to the pump, when ATC told me nobody at the airport is available to help with the pump. A phone call from him resulted in a man within minutes…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why only north or south? What about east? Salzburg, Friedrichshafen, Sion… That should give people in Germany, Poland and eastern Europe a better chance of joining

LFPT, LFPN

Germans can and do the N. Adriatic almost as a lunch trip. Friedrichshafen is a short hop.

A location in the Alps is interesting… but how many would be happy to fly into a canyon? Zell and See is a reasonable town to hang out in for a day or two, especially if you do trips. I have flown to Sion but not explored the area.

We had a good turnout in Calvi, which is a slightly nontrivial airfield. Almost zero turnout in Elba however (one Italian pilot came for lunch).

There will be a Polish fly-in in the summer – already on the trip list.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A location in the Alps is interesting… but how many would be happy to fly into a canyon? Zell and See is a reasonable town to hang out in for a day or two, especially if you do trips. I have flown to Sion but not explored the area.

I actually think Zell is a superb location – you don’t need to fly “far” into the canyon so it’s absolutely doable even if you haven’t done it before. People could even use the fly-in for a mountain check-out with a local instructor.

Also, with Salzburg it has an ideal alternate both in terms of WX and for people who absolutely don’t want to do the valley or who insist on arriving IFR.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I really like the idea of Zell Am See. It’s 2.5 hours from our base, so would be a perfect last stop before returning home after a week of flying starting May 6.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 21 Nov 18:06
Tököl LHTL

Peter wrote:

Almost zero turnout in Elba however

There was an almost zero turnout at Le Touquet last Saturday

I for one would have liked to come to Elba but could not for whatever reason.

I believe the runway at Zell would be a little on the short side for me at that elevation, whether in the DA42 or the SR22. The owner of the latter requires min 800 m runway and that is more or less at sea level (actually he currently requires 1000 m)

LFPT, LFPN

Where can you swim in May?

Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message