Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA 13-14 May 2017 Fly-In Roskilde EKRK / Copenhagen

Cannes LFMD? Family would be tempted by Corsica too. Or somewhere in Tuscany/Umbria?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 22 Nov 05:48
Tököl LHTL

Peter wrote:

Looking at the views expressed, why don’t we do the May one to somewhere “generally warm” and do the September one to Sweden/Denmark/etc?

May would actually be a better choice for a visit to Scandinavia than September.

Looking at climatological data (for Malmö and Stockholm), the average temperatures are essentially the same, but there is less precipitation and more sun in May.

Looking at flight time statistics for my club (Uppsala) since 2012, we fly slightly more hours in May than we do in September.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Zell am See would rule out 30-50% of people, based on the runway size.

Not many places you can swim in in May, though I recall one person at the 2014 Losinj fly-in saying she would have jumped in I think further south in the Adriatic you could, just about. Greece, yes.

We did Corsica in Sep 2014 – Calvi. Very few places there with avgas, and Calvi had a very poor parking surface, covered in sharp sand which got everywhere.

Le Touquet on Saturday was put forward with a 24hr notice so not many would have come anyway, but also most have been there multiple times. It’s good for a lunch, not for a fly-in IMHO. I am just making the point that to get people to come you need to do something “extra”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I recall one person at the 2014 Losinj fly-in saying she would have jumped in

Just saying? Achim, Tom, I and others had a good swim

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What about Elba? Or somewhere Sardinia?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I visited Corsica first week in October. Weather was warm, good enough for Shorts. Calvi was a lovely place to a 2 – 3 night stop. Airport was straight forward. Didn’t ask for a PPR, pay at the main terminal information desk and they had an Air BP truck to come and fill you up. While the parking surface wasn’t great, it was ok and doable. There is a hard surface available, not sure it that is allocated for residents but one could certainly request it.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

May would actually be a better choice for a visit to Scandinavia than September.

I do support @Airborne_Again. At this times Scandinavia offers often best flying conditions. Have been there several times. Compared to the south of Europe: I found thunderstorms and heavy rain often in the past in southern France and Spain. So my vote: let’s fly north.

But anyway doing a weather forecast today for next year May is strange although DWD weather seems to be absolute accurate in their prognosis 6 month ahead. ;-)

Last Edited by eddsPeter at 23 Nov 12:47
EDDS , Germany

I’m more enthusiastic about scandi too. Weather should be nice in the summer and it would be a novelty for me

Somewhere like EKRK also has some merit by virtue of being accessible ‘low VFR’ as well as airways. There doesn’t seem to be much call to get above 2000’ and mostly OCAS from South UK to EKRK.

EGBP, United Kingdom

OK. We more or less know how many people would try to make it to a fly-in “somewhere warm” – because we have done a number of such fly-ins and it is clear what people like, looking at who actually turns up.

Could all those who would actually turn up to say EKRK or that general area, and would want to go in May, please post?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message