Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Instrument Rating in Europe

AnthonyQ wrote:

you are missing the fact that he already owns an N reg aircraft

No. I think that if you reread what I wrote, it is clear that have not missed that.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I would not assume every mod on an N reg is STC based. STCs are more a European thing, and beloved by illiterate A&Ps who can’t read the regs. Obviously some things need an STC but a lot of mods could be pricey to recertify here.

The US has a great minor mod system and the field approval route works mostly well.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi all,

thank you very much for your contributions: a bit clearer on my side now.
I understand that need to get both FAA and EASA IR; the only choice I have is in which order.
I will try to get a bit more infos on the EASA CB-IR here in Italy to see how it look likes….
Do you know if EASA CB-IR training can be done with my own N registered plane?
Roberto

jacopuzzo wrote:

I understand that need to get both FAA and EASA IR; the only choice I have is in which order.

If the order is FAA first, you don’t have the option of using a 61.75 (your “conversion”) but need a standalone FAA license which means terrorist check and the whole stuff.

jacopuzzo wrote:

Do you know if EASA CB-IR training can be done with my own N registered plane?

Yes, that is possible but it would not be allowed to fly outside the country of the license of the PIC until you have an EASA IR and a new 61.75 with IR.

The instructor is PIC…

One oddball reason for doing the FAA piggyback route rather than standalone FAA papers, is that it enables you to fly on just the EASA medical. Various conditions ground you under FAA permanently but EASA offers a route. One, AIUI, is prostate cancer under surveillance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

If the order is FAA first, you don’t have the option of using a 61.75 (your “conversion”) but need a standalone FAA license which means terrorist check and the whole stuff.

I’m not sure I understand this part.

Let’s take a “hypothetical” example: A US Citizen, residing EU, currently EU based PPL(VFR only) + FAA “piggy-back” (VFR) , completes & earns FAA IR, will NEED to get a standalone FAA PPL ?

What am I missing ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

I’m not sure I understand this part.

Let’s take a “hypothetical” example: A US Citizen, residing EU, currently EU based PPL(VFR only) + FAA “piggy-back” (VFR) , completes & earns FAA IR, will NEED to get a standalone FAA PPL ?
What am I missing ?

No. So long as you sit the normal IR written and not the IFP written and take a checkride you can add an IR “US Test Passed” to a 61.75 PPL. You do not need a standalone. Whether that can be used as an ICAO IR for helping with getting an EASA IR I have no idea but it is a full instrument rating so I can’t see why not.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Sep 06:50
EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason, that’s what I thought, hence why I asked.

So I guess the question is the full FAA PPL+IR needed to get the EASA IR based on FAA IR ?
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

JasonC wrote:

So long as you sit the normal IR written and not the IFP written and take a checkride you can add an IR “US Test Passed” to a 61.75 PPL.

I don’t think so. A 61.75 will always have printed on it “Limitations and restrictions of Germany/France/etc. license apply”. One limitation of that would be that you are not allowed to pilot aircraft under instrument flight rules.

The same thing with VFR night. In EASA land, that requires a special license endorsement, under FAA it doesn’t. You can’t do something with your 61.75 that your underlying EASA license does not allow. Another example: flying an N-reg TBM on your 61.75. Under FAA, the TBM does not need a special class/type rating because it is under 5.7t. Under EASA it needs a class rating. Therefore you would do something with your 61.75 that your EASA license would not allow you to do. That is the view of an LBA inspector I spoke to. I wouldn’t risk anything of that sort because flying without a license is a criminal offense so the stakes are high.

achimha wrote:

I don’t think so. A 61.75 will always have printed on it “Limitations and restrictions of Germany/France/etc. license apply”. One limitation of that would be that you are not allowed to pilot aircraft under instrument flight rules.

The same thing with VFR night. In EASA land, that requires a special license endorsement, under FAA it doesn’t. You can’t do something with your 61.75 that your underlying EASA license does not allow. Another example: flying an N-reg TBM on your 61.75. Under FAA, the TBM does not need a special class/type rating because it is under 5.7t. Under EASA it needs a class rating. Therefore you would do something with your 61.75 that your EASA license would not allow you to do. That is the view of an LBA inspector I spoke to. I wouldn’t risk anything of that sort because flying without a license is a criminal offense so the stakes are high.

The Krausz decision makes it clear that this is not the case. Unless your EASA certificate says on its face that you may not fly a TBM you are fine. The decision says that the limitations point does not import the entire regulatory regime underlying the certificate on which the 61.75 is based. Your LBA friend is overreaching.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Sep 07:59
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message